Thursday, May 26, 2016

May in Review

I don't know if it's because my job is deadline driven or what, but this year has been one big blur for me, zipping by at the speed of sound. I simply can't believe May is almost over.


The first of the month found me surrounded by paint cans, drop cloths, ladders, rollers and brushes. Living alone makes it easy to do stuff like that—nobody bugging me about getting the table cleared and fixing supper. Wink.

I had been wanting to paint my living room the same color as my dining room for a while. I used Behr's Marquee paint (guaranteed one-coat coverage) and the color is "Nurture." It's a very soft, calming color, and I'm totally pleased. For some reason, the new color required different decor on the mantel, and although I've not got things exactly like I want them, I'm getting there. I scattered my copper pieces around the room and also purchased a few new ones.


I also had the brilliant idea of replacing my existing coffee table with my DIY project from my granddaughter's room—this oneThe only catch was: I had to get it downstairs, and it weighs more than an 18-wheeler with a load of steel. 

Now, trust me, I do stupid things all the time, playing Sampson, but that was about the stupidest thing ever! I wrestled with that coffee table in the stairwell for longer than you would believe, trying to figure out how on earth I was going to get it down without it (or me) falling to the bottom of the stairs and banging into a thousand pieces. I actually had a "come to Jesus meeting" on the stairs, hanging on to the table for dear life, asking for forgiveness for my sin. If I had captured the descent on video, it would go viral. 

But, as they say, all is well that ends well, and the coffee table is safe and sound in the living room, looking quite lovely beneath my books and what-nots. 




Mother's Day was bittersweet. I still have no answers as to why my only child suddenly banished me and my family from her life without warning or explanation a year ago this week. Needless to say, I miss her and my grandchild every single day, but I do my best not to let my grief rob me of the good things that were and the good things that remain. Thus, Big Sister and I spent Mother's Day with our dear mom. She is loved by all who know her, and I wish she could live forever.


Daddy turned 89 on the 14th. God has blessed him with long life and good health, and we celebrated with a partial family gathering at a catfish place near their home.


In my mind's eye, Daddy remains the most handsome and strongest man I know. He drives me a little crazy sometimes, but I'm glad he's still sitting at the head of our table.

Of course, May never goes by without me remembering my fairy tale wedding in 1982. I believe marriage should last forever, but too often these days, it doesn't. The 15th would've been our 34th wedding anniversary. I still mourn my broken family circle. 


On the 19th, I hosted a dinner at my house, celebrating my niece's upcoming birthday. Shelaine holds a special place in my heart, and I'm proud of the woman she's become.


Yesterday, I left work and drove straight to Miss Arabella, my adorable grand niece. She makes the shadows disappear for a while, and I couldn't love her more. Although she usually does a double-take between me and her Memaw (my identical twin), I think she fully understands now that the two aren't one. ☺ I'm so glad she's in the neighborhood, and I know we'll be seeing lots of each other as time goes by.


And that brings us to now. Outside my window, rain falls in loud splashes onto the sidewalk. I had considered a little getaway during the long weekend, but if the weather doesn't take a turn, I'll probably stay home and hang out in my pjs.

If anybody is still reading, I hope your May has been beautiful. Life is so very fragile, and can change drastically with a phone call, or even an email. Unwrap each moment with care, and hug tightly those you love. ♦

19 comments:

  1. Haha! I have had a few of those come to Jesus moments while in a precarious predicament. Happy you had success in this situation. Your home is lovely even during ongoing projects.

    There are a handful of bloggers that I would love to spend personal time with because they just seem to get life and its struggles though they are unique to each of us. You and your sister fall into that group. Loving the Lord and journeying together. Appreciating your open heart and sweetness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is such a nice comment, and I thank you for each kind word. I enjoy your beautiful blog and pics. God bless you greatly.

      Delete
  2. I love you mucho, even when you attempt to haul one-ton tables down a flight of stairs. Silly you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was stupid me. Sheesh. I was truly scared. LOL!!

      Delete
    2. I hope you would've let the table go if a life was on the line. :)

      Delete
  3. P.S. That photo with my precious cupcake ... no words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There. It's out. You let a lot out that had been hidden behind a glass darkly. A lump is still in my throat, from the upstairs, to the downstairs, from 1982 to that bitter day last year. Your daddy and mama raised some mighty strong girls, beautiful and intelligent. I wish for you a lovely weekend filled with joy.

    Happy Memorial Day weekend from Kosrae, FSM,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelley. You're a gifted encourager.

      Delete
  5. You do a remarkable job laying it all out there. It helps to doing that. In this day and time, more failures than surviving marriages. Most time, they just live together. Times have really changed. Just try not dwell on the past and make the best of each new day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your decorating style! Thank you for all the vulnerable moments you shared as well as the happy, exciting ones. I just read this morning that one of the reasons we writers write is to share ourselves and open up to healing. Praying you will have many healing moments in the days to come as well as the answers you seek. Enjoy the Memorial Day weekend! May the Lord pour down blessings on you. I think May went especially fast as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers and kind words. I appreciate your concern so much.

      Delete
  7. Hi Gayle!
    So, even at 66 y/o I was ridiculously touched to see your comment and you're following my blog.

    But for faith, I don't know how one might sustain their sanity, being dealt such a blow as yours. (Yes, I wondered and worried, but it wasn't my place to ask.) Please know that I, too, am praying for a happy reconciliation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers. Every day is hard, and some days I'd rather not wake up, but my faith in God is getting me through this dark place.

      Delete
  8. You have great style, my friend...love all of the hints of copper! When I read about you struggling with that heavy coffee table, it brought back several memories of my own. I just wish that same determination that I have displayed when I want to just "get 'er done" would come to the surface more when I keep putting off some of the things I'd rather not do at the moment! Thank you for being somewhat transparent about some of the struggles that you are dealing with...and I must say, that's a tough one. Of course, nothing is too hard for God and I just know He is working on it as we speak. Lifting you up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Debby. Prayers are carrying me through.

      Delete
  9. Your words are heartfelt Gayle....incredibly honest and real. For me too, May has flown by but each day brings something special, a gift from Him. Sending you prayers that the broken pieces in your world will be healed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, sweet friend! My heart just aches for you...you are so precious to me and to so many others, and it is SO hard to understand why things have to be the way they are. Surely God is in control, and He loves you SO much. So do, I. Keep encouraged and know that you are in my prayers. I LOVE your beautiful home...thank you for sharing the lovely pictures. Love the paint color...it truly is so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I knew that photo would look awesome as your new blog header :)

    ReplyDelete