Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Transformation Thursday ~ A $20 Coffee Table Redo


The last umpteen weekends have found me with a cup of coffee in one hand and a paint brush in the other. It all started when I found this coffee table for $20 at my local Goodwill. I'd been wanting to try my hand at painting furniture (never tried it before), so the coffee table was the perfect piece to practice on. Here's how it went.


The table was definitely used, but my prep work was minimal. Cleaning and a very light sanding. Nothing more.


Once the table was clean and smooth to the touch, I applied two coats of Zinsser Cover Stain Primer, letting it dry for 24 hours between coats. 


My paint of choice was Benjamin Moore's Advance. I chose "Super White" with a satin finish. I'd never used Benjamin Moore paint, but the reviews were great.
I applied two coats of paint, sanding between each coat and allowing it to dry 24 hours between each coat. I then let it cure for seven days before applying Briwax with a soft cloth and buffing it to a shine.
 

  I was more than pleased with the outcome.

 I'm still unsure if I'll use it (or sell it), but I think it will make a great addition to any room.

I'm linking up with Gina's Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome table makeover!! What a difference good paint and a little elbow grease can make, huh?
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wonderful! A great job Gayle!

    Congratulations

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over how perfect the white is with the lines of that table. I really love it. It's cottage-y looking now to me, yet with a sleekness.

    I need a paint project.
    I would head to our GW, but it rots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! I'm hosting a new linky party at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/efforts-and-assets-linky-party-1.html

    I would love to have you!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete