Sunday, January 31, 2016

Saturday's Sweetness

My grand niece made an impromptu visit on Saturday. I can't wrap my head around the fact that she is now five, and speaks with the intellect of most adults.


The weather was sensational, so after playing "pretend" for a couple hours, we went outside where she insisted on planting me a "garden."


I told her I thought her gold shoes were a bit too fancy for such "dirty" work, but she assured me that they weren't.


As I watched her digging in the dirt, and listened to her talking, I wished I could freeze the moments and keep her five for a very long time. But alas, I couldn't do that—nobody can. Children grow up, and parents grow old. That's just the way it is.


After the planting was done, she took the watering can and carefully poured "love" and "joy" over each tiny stem. "Flowers need love and joy to grow," she told me, and I wholeheartedly agreed. 

If I were granted one wish in this life, it would be that no child in the world would ever hurt for any reason. They are the very essence of God, and if we wish to be a part of God's Kingdom, we must be like them. ♦


“At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, ‘Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: ‘Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.’”

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.”

Matthew 18: 1-3 and 6 (NIV)

I'm joining the good folks at Spiritual Sundays.

7 comments:

  1. That's the sweetest flower garden ever! And that "love and joy" ... that's what we all need to grow. Love that precious child so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how precious this dear, little girl is! I can't believe how mature she talks and how she came up with that about flowers needing love and joy to grow! I know she must bring so much sunshine into your life, and what a blessing that God sends people to cheer us in our times of despair and abandonment. I am praying for you and trusting God to bless you in a big way, and sending you big hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious. Precious. Precious.
    If only we could, by sheer will, freeze these moments...
    If only for a short time.
    As it is, we soak them in and tuck them safely in our hearts.
    So happy to share your wonderful day with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sure can learn from a child, can't we.
    She has sure grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's quite evident that someone has been teaching that little one many great truths. What a blessed child she is to have such wonderful role models. These are some of my favorite scriptures too. Such a beautiful post, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Gayle, It's me again! I was so excited to hear that the Kingsmen recorded one of your songs! I'd love to connect with you by email if you would like to. I couldn't find a way to do that here, but if you visit my blog and click on the link under my picture in the sidebar, it will direct you to my info., and you could email me from there. I hope to hear from you! Sounds like we have a lot in common! I enjoy your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Gayle, It's me again! I was so excited to hear that the Kingsmen recorded one of your songs! I'd love to connect with you by email if you would like to. I couldn't find a way to do that here, but if you visit my blog and click on the link under my picture in the sidebar, it will direct you to my info., and you could email me from there. I hope to hear from you! Sounds like we have a lot in common! I enjoy your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete