Saturday, September 27, 2014

Rocking Miss Audrey

Audrey's Room at Nonni's - where we rock.
My granddaughter has spent several nights with me lately, and there isn’t anything I cherish more than rocking her at bedtime. It’s beyond magical. Just me and her. Her little head on my shoulder, me rubbing her back, the night-light glowing in the darkness. Holding such innocence so close is a tiny glimpse of God, no doubt, and my heart almost can’t hold the love I feel. I know how fleeting these days are, and I treasure each memory that we’re making together.

Of course, I don’t just rock her—I sing softly as we rock, and I've been doing that since she's been born. Believe it or not, the last two weekends, she’s been calling out song requests. It’s so precious. Tonight was no exception.


Audrey and Bop this afternoon - 9/27/14
After we settled into the rocking chair, without lifting her head from my shoulder, she whispered, “B.I.B.” That’s one of her favorite songs—“The B.I.B.L.E.” It was one of her mother’s favorites, as well, and I commenced singing it in my best nonni voice. As soon as it came to an end, she called out another request. “Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock.” That’s a song I wrote on the fly one rocking weekend, and it’s been a big hit in her world ever since.

After that, it was “Eeesus,” which means “Jesus Loves The Little Children,” or “Jesus Loves Me.” I don’t know which, but either one is fine with her, and I usually sing both. Then the list repeats itself, over and over and over. Sometimes, I barely sing two lines, and she’s requesting the next tune.

Tonight, she requested something new. 

Ohhhh Bop.

Bop is what she calls her stuffed lamb. I said, “Nonni doesn’t know any song about Bop, but I can write one.” And with that, I started singing. “Ohhhh, Bop. Ohhhh, Bop! Bop! Bop! Ohhhh, Bop. Ohhhh, Bop! Bop! Bop!” At that point, she started chuckling, and by the time I finished up the tune, we were both laughing soooo hard—her little head still on my shoulder, and me still rubbing her back.

The Oak Ridge Boys sang a song years ago called “Thank God for Kids.” The last line of the chorus says: “The nearest thing to heaven is a child.” Indeed, it is, and I'm working hard on being a fixed face in the life of my granddaughter and staying as close to heaven as I possibly can. ♥

Grandmothers are the people who take delight in hearing babies breathing into the telephone. ~ Unknown


I'm linking to:

10 comments:

  1. Audrey is growing more beautiful every day! Of course, that beauty starts from within. What a great role-model she has in her Nonni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mevely. She brings me joy untold

      Delete
  2. Oh my, what sweetness! There is doubt Miss Audrey have formed a very special relationship...what a precious post about these precious times. And let me just add that I LOVE your new blog header...how fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, happy day. For now, it's my granddogs and the few times in the year I get to see them, feel them, walk them. And God is good to us grandmothers, isn't He?

    Loved this post, Gayle. And the smell of babies.

    Hugs and happy Sunday,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious post about a precious little baby girl. I would LOVE to hear that conversation in the rocking chair. What a doll she must be calling out requests like that. My heart would burst wide open.

    I'm so glad you get to spend time with her. I think of our mother, never living close to us when our children were babies. Must've been terribly hard on her and Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful post, Gayle. I was thinking about my rocking years just yesterday, in fact. I had written a quick post, and when it posted, I noticed a link to a very old post that I had written back in 2010 about rocking my daughters. How I miss those days.

    I hope and pray that someday in the not too very distant future, I can rock a grandchild and sing them to sleep. You are in such a precious season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grand-parenting is the most wonderful gift from God. It brightens up my world like nothing else.

      Delete
  6. And I think I have told you this already, but I really REALLY love the pictures of you in the banner.

    ReplyDelete