Friday, August 29, 2014

August 22, 2014


My dearest Audrey,

I had been looking forward to you spending the night with me all month, so when you finally arrived Friday evening, I couldn’t open the front door fast enough. And there you were, on the hip of Aunt Courtney, your blonde hair aglow in the August sun, smiling from ear-to-ear and reaching your little arms my direction. Nonni’s heart all but exploded with joy.

The next few hours zipped by as we sang old songs and learned new songs, and read old books and new books, and laughed, and laughed, and laughed some more. Your smile is totally infectious, and when you laugh, it’s straight from the heart.

Aunt Dayle popped in to see her “pie,” and my, oh, my—there was dancing in the foyer. I mean, really. Aunt Dayle could’ve won a prize or something. I’m thankful you have Aunt Dayle in your life. You’ll be thankful, too, as the years go by.

And then it was just us again.

After dinner was done, we washed our hands at the kitchen sink. You love running water, and you promptly decided an all-out splashing was what you really needed, feet and all. So, Nonni canceled plans for a bathtub bath, and a sink bath quickly ensued. And what fun you had with my less-than-inventive bath toy of a small plastic bowl, filling it up and pouring it out again.

Once you were dried off, I put some smell-good lotion on you and dressed you for bed. It had been a long time since I had been with you at bedtime, and even longer since you had spent the night at my house, so I was a bit anxious about how the evening would go.

With your bottle and favorite blanket in hand, we climbed the stairs to your room. As evening shadows gathered outside, I sat in the rocker, hoping you would let me rock you for awhile. And you did. It was heaven on earth. I sang and hummed one of your favorite songs until your little eyes grew heavy with sleep. Once I laid you down, you drifted off into a peaceful slumber.


As daylight sifted through the bedroom curtains, I heard you jabbering in your crib. There is nothing any sweeter than the sound of you jabbering, and I am sure heaven’s choir stopped to listen in. Another day was about to start, and sunshine was in abundant supply. ♦

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

    (Repeat.)

    Oh, thank Heaven for little girls.

    Hugs,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What exquisite images, Gayle! Audrey is a doll, and you're so blessed to be able to spend these moments together. With all the sadness in the world, shares like yours make my heart smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious post, Nonni. I'm so glad pie is in my life and she is one blessed baby girl to have you in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me right there with you. She was pulling at this Nana's heartstrings too. She's precious, Gayle and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just described a little dream of mine. It lives in my head, but God willing I will have a "Pie" of my own someday.

    And I just this moment noticed your header. I LOVE THAT!!!!

    Debbie...
    the one who gets around here slowly and not always surely but who always leaves with a smile when she does.

    ReplyDelete