Saturday, March 2, 2013

Dear, Dear Dad


After the last dish was put away this evening, I sat in my favorite chair and picked up the phone to call my dear dad. Before I began dialing, he was calling me. (I like when that happens.)

Dad's ankle is held together by a jillion screws now, and walking is not possible without excruciating pain. Everyone except Daddy knew it would be that way. Daddy's plans were to take off his heavy boot and resume life as he had known it.

I've struggled this week to deal with the reality of this storm. Indeed, it is a storm for us all. I'm praying for a miracle, but I need peace for today. We all need peace for today.

Before hanging up the phone, Daddy told me how much he loved me, and said if I ever needed him or Mother in any way, they would be there for me.

Dear, dear Dad. Even in his darkest hour, he was offering himself on my behalf. Only God could love me more. ♦

9 comments:

  1. Storms take a toll, but it's wonderful to know the One who can speak peace in the midst of the storm. Praying you feel that tonight, sweet sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank God for family during the storm.

    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all could learn from your dad (actually, your whole family).
    Miracle? That would be wonderful. But you have what a lot of others don't have, a loving and caring family.

    I'll be praying for that miracle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. Your prayers are appreciated so much.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to be loved like that by such a selfless man as your dad. Praying for his complete healing, and that the pain will be less and less everyday. And also praying that you feel God's perfect peace through it all. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie, for your words of encouragement. They mean a lot.

      Delete
  5. What a picture of God's love over us--very touching. Thank you, Gayle--

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a prayer warrior for your dad. I can't even imagine the pain of taking a single step. It really puts my painful strides into a more accurate perspective.

    Huge hugs of encouragement to you. I remember seeing my dad in extreme pain. I remember when he couldn't walk due to the cancer which spread to his leg. What I also remember was the miracle of surgery and treatment that literally gave him back the gift of walking. I'm believing for that for your dad, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. You have lifted my head. Hugs to you.

      Delete