Friday, February 1, 2013

Loving as He Loves - A Tall Order to Fill


February is here, and that means love is in the air.

Quite frankly, I don't know how people get through life without the love of someone. A mother, father, sister, brother, spouse, sweetheart, friend. Someone who loves them...regardless.

Thankfully, I am blessed with a loving family. My parents, sisters and I don't always agree, but when the dust settles, we love each other...regardless. I hope our children keep that commitment alive when our voices are dead and gone. It is a special thing, and not all families share it.

Loving someone isn't all roses and sunshine, of course. Putting your heart in free fall can be a gut-wrenching experience. Yet, Jesus commands us to love one another"as I have loved you."

That is a tall order to fill, and it makes me wonder what Jesus would do if he were here in bodily form, handing out boxes of chocolates on Valentine's Day.

Would he focus his attention and affections only on those who love himas you and I usually do or would he also give to those who hate him, and hurt him, and use him, and curse him?

We all know the answer to that: He would seek out those individuals who don't love him, and who don't "deserve" chocolates, some might say. Those people who bring him pain. And he wouldn't shove the chocolates in their faces and say, "Here! You know you don't deserve these, but you can have them anyway."

On the contrary, he would extend his offering of love and say,"These chocolates are just for you, my dear child. I bought your favorite kind, and I hope you enjoy every piece. Please remember that I love you to the cross and back, and I always will...regardless."

Loving others as God loves us is a tall, tall order, indeed. But if we choose to only love those who love us, who root for us, and who think we're the best thing since sliced bread, we shouldn't expect to receive a reward of any kindnot even on Valentine's Day.

♥ ♥ ♥
"If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that."
Matthew 5:47 (The Message)

Linking to: Spiritual Sundays

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful thoughts, Gayle. I agree with you - with everything you said here. Happy love month.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness is all of this ever so true. How hard it is sometimes to bear all this in mind and love others in a sacrificial way the way He did, especially of course the ones who are soo unlovable. Only through His love saturated in us do we even have a prayer. This was a GREAT post...enjoy your week-end! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one made me cry. Not just get a lump or tears, but literally cry. I love what you wrote about "to the cross and back". THANK YOU for your convicting and beautiful reminder today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a tall order indeed! Jesus' love for us took Him to the cross. Sometimes it's hard for us to just walk across the street, or the room, to show someone love...especially those who are "hard" to love. But you are right, those are the very people included in Jesus' command to love one another "as I have loved you." He set a high standard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the unloveable ... doing God's work and will. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gayle
    Happy SS, dear one. Loving like Jesus asks us to do, even our enemies, is totally impossible with me. I can only allow Him to live His life and love in and through me!
    Have a blessed Sunday
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I love you to the cross and back." What a beautiful knowledge that expresses. Love is so much more than a February day. I want to choose to give my heart year around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the mini-refresher course in loving and seeing others with the heart and the eyes of The Selfless Lover of our souls.

    Beautiful message today!

    ReplyDelete