Monday, January 14, 2013

Treasures of the Road

 
 
It is a lazy Saturday afternoon. A steady rain taps against the window, reminding me of the manual typewriters I learned to type on in Ms. Brady's typing class. I should be doing more productive things, but I've opened a plastic storage bin in my office closetlooking for a specific something—and now I'm rummaging through boxes upon boxes of old letters, cards and memorabilia from days gone by.

As a young woman, I was away from home a lot, traveling full-time, making music, giving back to God what he had given me. And although I traveled with my older sister and my then brother-in-law, I was lonely at times, missing the familiar, dreaming of stability and a place to call my own. Judging by the volume of letters in this storage bin, people missed me just as much as I missed them.

I've got letters from my twin. Letters from Mother. Letters from Daddy. Letters from the grandparents. Letters from girl friends. Lady friends. One or two boyfriends. In fact, if you wrote me a letter ever, it is probably in my stash of stuff, and I'm so not kidding. The addresses represent where I was singing at the time. California. Florida. Indiana. Ohio. Mississippi. Alabama. Louisiana. And on and on they go.

Many of the letters beg to be read, and after an hour or so of reading, I pause and ponder: What if we had had text messaging in my globe-trotting days? And laptops? And Wi-Fi? And Facebook? And blogs? Would my life have been richer?

It was an intriguing question for sure, and the truth of the matter is, I don't know. I don't know if my life would've been richer 35 years ago with instant access to those I loved and missed. But I do know that my life is richer today because of these hand-written notes from family and friends. They are treasures in tattered envelopes to me—each paragraph, each sentence, each word. And on this lazy, rainy Saturday afternoon, they are warming my heart like a million text messages never could.

5 comments:

  1. Handwritten letters are now priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I treasure my old letters, there is no way I would be able to handwrite hundreds of students that I am able to keep up with thru Facebook-- I get to read about their activities, view their photo albums, rejoice with them when they get married, have a baby, graduate college, get a new job--I also get to view photo albums of my nieces and nephews who live in other states or towns that I would never get to see otherwise.

    So even though I would never trade the old, I am loving the new.

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Dianne. It's great having instant access to those we love.

      Delete
  3. Love this! It's especially heart warming to go back and read letters from ages ago. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete