Monday, September 3, 2012

From Rocks to Richness

A  few weeks ago, my twin sister offered to sell me her green thumb (for a reasonable price, of course) and transform a tiny area of my backyard.

To give you a bit of history, I've won the "Backyard from Hell" award ever since my grass died from unknown causes last spring. Replacing the grass was quite costly, and instead of shelling out the big bucks, I raised the white flag of surrender and gave up on backyard living. Boohoo. Poor pitiful me.

Being the gardening guru that Dayle is, she urged me to "get past the grass" and let her work a little magic on my behalf. Nothing major. Just something simple to bring me joy at the end of my day. I wasn't sure I could enjoy my yard without the lush grass, but I finally relented, and off Dayle went making plans.

The area she chose to work with had morphed into a needless bed of weed-infested rocks (after a freeze destroyed the palm plant previously planted there). I hated every rock in that bed, so the first item on Dayle's agenda was getting rid of the rocks.

Long story short, the metamorphosis is now complete, and I am ECSTATIC with how it turned out. Instead of unsightly rocks, I've got a bed full of richness. I'm enjoying it immensely, and I can't wait to share coffee on the patio with YOU!

I took a zillion pictures, but here are a few of my favorites:

 BEFORE - A total eyesore!

 AFTER - An amazing transformation!

Looking out the back door puts a smile on my face.

 Magnificence in Red

Every evening since the transformation, I've gravitated toward the patio. Some days, it's just me. Other days it's me, a magazine and a glass of iced tea.

 
Maybe next spring, I'll have my grass replaced, but until then, I'm totally good. Thank you, sweet wombmate, for all you do. My world is better because you're in it.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ 

I'm showing my lovely garden today at Susan's, "Metamorphosis Monday."  If you like "Before and Afters" and DIY projects, you'll like her blog. Today, she's showing how to make
Pottery Barn knock off vintage clock plates.

6 comments:

  1. It was my pleasure, dear sis. I can't wait to share something good on the patio with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone needs a place to rest. This is a perfect spot. It has all the elements for a relaxing moment or even a full day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how a little project can make a huge difference! I live it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! I know you will enjoy this tranquil and pretty spot often :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I know you will enjoy this enormously! What a sweet sister!

    ReplyDelete