Friday, October 8, 2010

All Things Work Together


If I live to be 105, I'll never figure out certain things. Why some sick people pray and get well, and other sick people pray and die. Why some jobless people pray and find a job, and other jobless people pray and collect unemployment. I really don't understand why some prayers seem louder than others, but what I do understand is that all things work together for good to those who love God. It might not look "good" at the moment, but it's working together for good.

Just recently, I suffered a devastating personal disappointment. What I thought was going to happen didn't happen. I had devoted months of mental, physical and emotional energy to this particular event. However, within a few moments, it came to a screeching halt. I was beyond distraught. I felt like a bride must feel, jilted at the altar: Now what? I didn't know what to say, or what to do, or how to move forward.

But I did move forwardone gray day at a time. And now, a few weeks after the fact, after the tears have dried and the anxious thoughts have ceased, I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that the thing I had hoped for and planned on happening wasn't meant to be right then. That my timetable wasn't in my best interest. That despite the tears, the fears, and the endless list of questions, all things were working together for good.

Whether or not my plans ever evolve is yet to be seen, but it really doesn't matter anymore. Either way, I'll be OK. My Father knows the end from the beginning, and I trust him with my life.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
to them who are the called according to his purpose,"
Romans 8:28.
_______________

Linking to Spiritual Sundays.

19 comments:

  1. My husband told me this same thing yesterday. From the moment we are born, God knows our path, so why not just enjoy the ride, even when it is filled with speedbumps! :) Love your header and that quote from Mother Teresa. There is a reason why I crave peace and quiet on a daily basis. Have a great weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! If this disappointment has anything to do with writing, I understand. I think He called me to write for my growth more than anything else.

    Thank you for sharing from the heart. Joan told me we are both in the Chicken Soup Devo book for Mothers. Congratulations.

    Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, can I say that I am truly sorry to read about the disappointment? I *knew* that something big and disappointing had happened just from reading your posts in the last month or so. It ws just a feeling in my heart. I'm sorry.

    I have had a few experiences that were big enough for me to have to cling to that verse with everything that I had. One in particular had to do with writing and is still the thing that I just don't "get".

    I believe He's good.
    I believe His ways are better than mine.
    But sometimes, particularly in the Romans 8:28 seasons, I have to pray a Mark 9:24 prayer.

    LORD I believe, help my unbelief.

    I always love reading here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this place where you've been...we probably all do. But, I greatly admire your trust in the Lord, whereas I turned away. Please read http://quietministries.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-house.html, if you haven't already. I hope it helps you on the journey He presently has you traveling! Will be praying for you. Hugs & love ~ Merana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gayle...me too...I'm sorry what you wanted didn't work out but your post touched something in me....your faith to trust inspires so much. I believe He really does have our backs even when we don't know the reasons....and He's got great doors for you to walk through...I believe that. Stay strong okay....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crushing blows make us stronger, not during the moment but afterwards. Looking back you can see your path and know which turn made you stronger.
    Please know that we care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gayle, in reading this I find that you are trusting Him to work this all out ,and that you know He does have your best interest at heart. How refreshing!!!
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of the most horrible things in my lifetime have resulted in some of the most beautiful--I have been thinking a lot about TRUST lately--thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goosebumps. God's timing is perfect, but it sure can hurt to go through the rough places, feeling certain His timing is in sync with our own. As you say, though, ultimately, He sees the end from the beginning, and all things in between.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somethings we just won't understand this side of Heaven and when we reach there, it won't matter. Romans 8:28 is a verse that brings much comfort to me.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that verse. The Lord's timing is always right.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, reading everyone's heartfelt comments, I'm at a loss to add anything new ... anything that might ease your pain.
    The head knows, yet our hearts hurt.
    I'm so sorry, Gayle. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone, your comments have warmed my heart. I'm so blessed to have each of you in my life.

    Hugs to all,
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Gayle for such lovely words of encouragement in your disappointment. I'm sure it touched the right person today. May we all remember our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your second paragraph describes the exact feelings I had recently. And although I have not yet seen the good that will come from all this--I know it will. I have seen it again and again over the years. Thank you for this splendid reminder of how God works in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has happened that way in my own life that I have no doubt that it is true that all things work together for my good. Thank you for this encouraging post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry that things didn't turn out for you.I will be anxious to read when the Lord will allow this to happen, because you know he will:)
    We had unexpected company this weekend so I'm late at visiting everyone,but I'm so glad I made the time do so.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete