Thursday, October 14, 2010

D is for: DAYLE

L-R: Dayle, Big Sister Elaine and Gayle

What a perfect letter for Alphabe-Thursday! Not only is today my birthday, it's also Dayle's birthday, my identical twin sister. I call her my wombmate.

One of my "Dayle" stories is published in Chicken Soup for the Soul: Twins and More. I titled it, "Weirdly In Sync," which perfectly describes the two of us. Below is another story I wrote about Dayle. It appeared in Reflections magazine, and remains a favorite of mine. Happy birthday, dear Dayle. And MANY more!
____________________

THERE SHE IS—MY BELOVED WOMBMATE

It’s 3 o’clock in the morning. Dayle and I have just finished our third game of Scrabble, yet neither of us is anxious to retire. We’re having too much fun; sleeping can wait.

My Scrabble partner is a reflection of me in so many ways. Born 11 minutes apart, we have the same nose, same eyes, same hair, same fingers and same feet. We talk alike, walk alike and laugh alike. Our tastes are the same. Our thoughts are the same. Even our DNA is the same.

I can’t imagine my life without Dayle.



Once when we were kids, we lost sight of each other in Piggly Wiggly. It was a game of hide-and-seek, and Dayle was “it.” After searching everywhere for her wayward twin, Dayle rounded the produce aisle, saw herself in a mirror and hollered, “There you are!”

As I observe her across the table tonight, I find myself repeating those same three words: There you are.

My beloved wombmate. My God-created clone. I love you more than words can say.

I love the way you look in that yellow housecoat. I love the way your hair is piled on your head, with only a pencil holding it in place. I love the way you scowl as you shuffle your letters, hoping to make a high-point word out of “EIEIOOO.”

I love laughing with you, drinking coffee with you or doing nothing with you.

You’ve been a compass to me in times of confusion. A haven to me in times of storm. An encourager to me in times of doubt and dissatisfaction. What a glorious gift you are.

These days, you’re traveling the globe, enjoying life with your retired spouse, but I don’t miss you when you’re gone. No matter how long the road is between us, you’re never far away. Like threads joined together in a piece of crochet, my heart is forever intertwined with yours. All I have to do is breathe, and there you are. ♦

13 comments:

  1. Awww ... now you've made me cry. Love you bunches. Thanks for making my birthday so special, just by showing up. LY

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful! Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story. Happy birthday to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always makes me happy to see and hear about Sisters, especially the ultimate love between them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. I feel like shedding a tear, but my eyes are dry. I'm so happy that the two of you are alive! I wonder how many of us secretly wish we had a twin! I don't even have a sister!
    Be always blessed you two!
    Anna
    Please take a peek at my D-post and my fur-twin Sara Cat's little post for ABC-Wednesday!
    Anna's D-word Alphabe-Thurs

    Sara Cat's abcWED-round-7-M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost forgot! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a beautiful tribute! Happy Birthday to you and Dayle! How blessed you are to have such a special relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big old Loser ... not getting here in time for the party. May I just say, "Happy New Year" ... I hope the coming 12 months are you happiest ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well first, I'M LATE!!! I not only missed your birthday but Dayle's too. That'll teach me to take a blog break...

    I love this post. I laughed out loud (literally) at the part about the mirror. That's too cute. I don't know what it's like to have a twin. I can only imagine because I know what regular sisterhood is like and love it.

    You AND Dayle with a "D" are most blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday to you and your beautiful wombmate. That makes me laugh. I bet you've gotten some puzzled looks from people thinking you have a bit of lisp.

    The word so beautiful expresses what you told us more of in your story.

    How fortunate you two are to have your hearts centered so squarely and solidly in someone who can understand what you think and feel.

    This was an incredibly lovely link to Alphabe-Thursday.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthdays to you both!!! I love your post. And I am sooo late in getting to the "D" posts, but I am glad that I made it a point to come!
    So nice to meet you in this wonderful world of blogging!

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh also meant to say...Jeremiah 29:11 is the verse that I had(have still) on our son's old caringbridge pages when he was diagnosed in 2005 and went through chemo for a lymphoma... Praising and thanking the Lord for our son's healing and that he is a strong, Christian witness, 20 year old Junior in college :o)

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete