Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Diamond In The Grass

It had been a stressful month. After moving to a new city and into a new house, everything that could go wrong had gone wrong.

My cabinets weren’t acceptable, the stove wasn’t what we’d ordered, the master tub was nicked, the lawn people hadn’t measured properly for grass, the air conditioner was clogged, the tub wouldn’t drain, the wallpaper hadn’t been hung properly. Just one dilemma after another.

As I stood looking out the back window on a Sunday morning, I was hosting the mother of all pity parties. Stress oozed from every pore. My head hung low. I wanted to run away from home.

Why couldn’t doing God’s will be a little easier? Was I even doing God’s will?

Suddenly, something sparkled in the grass. It was so brilliant, just like a diamond, going from red to purple to orange to green.

Reluctantly, I let go of my anxieties and studied the sparkly thing. What was it?

Not a diamond, of course. It was a drop of dew. A simple drop of dew, glimmering in the sunlight, sending me a signal, straight from the throne of God.

Stop over-stressing, each sparkle seemed to say. You’re getting on my nerves. Don’t you know I love you? Always?

As sure as the dew bathes the ground each morning, I am here for you, longing to bathe you in my love, my mercy, my kindness and my compassion. I am here to give you strength and wisdom and guide you with my eye.

I know where you are. I’ve seen you moping about the house for days, stressed out, going insane, wondering why doing my will has to be so complicated.

But don’t you know I inspected (and approved) every one of your problems before they occurred?

I knew about the cabinets, the nicked tub, the clogged air conditioner, the stopped up drain and the hundred other unexpected difficulties you’ve encountered in the last 30 days. (Yes, I even knew about the sagging wallpaper ordeal. Really, I did.)

I knew about it all, Gayle, and I okayed it all. Why?

Because I knew you’d come through it—stronger, tougher, more resolved than ever in doing what I’ve called you to do.

And I have called you, Gayle. Don’t ever forget that. You are a chosen vessel, hand-picked to be exactly where you are, doing exactly what you're doing.

My ways are perfect, child. All things—and I mean all things—work together for good to them that love me, to them who are the called according to my purpose.

So stop the pity party, please. The things you’re worrying about are temporal anyway. Wipe your eyes, blow your nose and get yourself dressed for church. They’re depending on you. And so am I. ♦

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done.
________________

I'm linking to Spiritual Sundays, where inspiration blooms.

15 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Dayle. Thanks for sharing - I needed to hear this message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God speaks to us in so many different and special ways. Even a drop of dew can open a window to heaven. Thanks for such a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Gayle. Love you. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God sends us signs of His presence every day. It's so easy to overlook them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Makes me think of Romans 8:28. This is a great message and one we all need from time to time. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Dayle... this was so beautiful! I began to tremble with joy in thinking of how truly awesome our God really is. To think He even knows all the itty bitty stressors we go through each day and even then, God is in complete control!

    Thank you so much for sharing this with us and may God richly bless you today and every day! *huge hugs*

    Happy Palm Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! I meant, Gayle! *smacks myself upside the head* I'm so embarrassed. I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is something that I needed to read. I'm getting better but still need to work on it. Our roof leaks really bad and we had some real bad rains. The Lord must of been proud of me because my first though was at least I have a roof over my head. The old me would of had to make a phone call for a new roof that week.The rains are gone and our floor is dry, we will be getting our new roof this summer.God is good!
    Thank-you and God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. It is so encouraging. Isn't it amazing how God can speak to us in a sparkling drop of dew?
    Blessings for a good week ahead.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. May your week improve. God always speaks to me through nature.

    Have a blessed Easter week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post. Beautiful messag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could have written these exact words... you express so beautifully the pity party that I have wallowed in this past week. I love LOVE the part about God inspecting all those problems before He allows us to face them. Just loved it. It's a perspective changer.

    Thanks for the aptly spoken words.
    And the good swift kick.

    As always, love your words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Gayle,

    Stopping by for the first time from Dayle's place. I can see the two of you share many talents and writing skills. You have a sweet place here and I have enjoyed visiting!

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is awesome...and I love that you and twin are called dayle and gayle...how cool is that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was having a hard time this morning dealing with many personal issues that I feel like I've lost all control of...I was reading your simple pleasure and linked to this post. I just wanted to thank you for sharing this all these months ago it she gave me a great reminder today that GOD is still in control and know whats best for me!

    ReplyDelete