Saturday, March 20, 2010

No Problem Is Too Small. Just Call.

At 2 a.m., I awake to the sound of my chocolate Labrador, Lucy, barking incessantly. After sniffing the air, the problem is clear: She has a skunk cornered in the backyard.

Although I know Lucy won’t retreat without human intervention—been there; done that—I pull the covers over my head and hope she will. I’m just too tired to deal with her tonight.

An hour later, however, the barking hasn’t ceased, and my head is about to split.

Dragging myself out of bed, I venture into the kitchen and crack open the back door. As expected, Lucy is in the far north corner, rear skyward, antagonizing her captive prey.

“Lucy, come!” I yell.

She glances my direction, but she doesn’t come. In fact, the sound of my voice seems to reenergize her resolve.

BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!

After a lengthy time of hollering, whistling, spraying the water hose and rattling a few dishes, I do the unthinkable and dial 9-1-1.

“What is the nature of your emergency?”

“Well, it isn’t a real emergency, ma’am, but my dog has a skunk cornered in the backyard, and rabid skunks have been reported in my area. Can anybody help me?”

“I’ll contact animal control.”

After giving my address, I hang up and resume hollering out the back door. Lucy appears exhausted, and it isn't long before she darts close enough for me to grab her collar.

Holding on for dear life, I haul her heaving body through the house and into the garage, where she collapses in a smelly heap on the cold concrete floor.

About that time, the doorbell rings. I open the door to find a young police officer, flashlight in hand.

“You called?”

“Uh, yes, and I’m really sorry for bothering anybody. My dog had a skunk cornered in the backyard, but I’ve got her in the garage now.”

“Has the skunk left?”

“I have no idea.”

“I’ll go check it out.”

To my amazement, more police officers are arriving by the minute—five patrol cars in all—and while some join the backyard search, others join me inside the house and offer homemade remedies for de-skunking my dog. The mood is jovial, and I am grateful for a low-crime night in the city.

Finally, the skunk search comes to a futile end, and one by one, the policemen say good-bye and drive away.

After checking Lucy’s water in the garage, I lock the doors, return to bed and marvel at how powerful one late-night phone call, from one desperate, frazzled woman turned out to be. Trivial problem; crucial support.

Hebrews 4:16 says, “Let us therefore come ‘boldly’ unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”

In other words, regardless of how silly and insignificant our problems might seem, we needn’t be shy in asking for God’s assistance. He is concerned with every aspect of our lives, and he longs to help us in our times of need. All we have to do is give him a call. An army of angels is standing by. ♦
________

I'm linking to Spiritual Sunday, where good words can be found.

18 comments:

  1. There is no problem too small (or too big) for our Lord. I'm so thankful He cares about every aspect of our lives.

    Enjoyed your story about Lucy - hope she got "deskunked" soon.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a night!!! Bless your heart! I hope the de-skunking wasn't tooo terribly bad!
    Yes! I love that we can go to the Throne Room with EVERY REQUEST!!

    Have a blessed weekend!

    p.s. you should join spiritual sundays!
    http://www.bloggerspirit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops just saw that you are at SS ;) LOL

    I am a follower now and look forward to knowing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this story. Lucy was quite the character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good story. Good lesson for each of us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, what an interesting story. I like the conclusion. I hope you never have this problem again.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this story. Sorry your night of sleep was interuppted, but it is good to know that there were soo many willing to help. Hope the "deskunking" went well. And your right, how wonderous to know we can always go to His mighty throne. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this story. We have not because we ask not.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could just tell how tired you were. I enjoyed this story,thank-you for sharing it. I fell so bad for your dog, I hope he/she smells good soon.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) This is a cute story, with a good outcome. Nice reminder that we are never really alone when it comes to a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great analogy...and my kids always laugh at me b/c I love the smell of skunks

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me smile! :)
    I was going about my Spiritual Sunday posts when my husband gave me the bad tax news.
    I was so sad and I am not quite sure how we will cope But I know God will be on our side and that is all that really matters.
    Thanks for this smile today and may many blessings come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that was a good one. I am so thankful we do not have skunks abounding in our area. Have only known of one in 18 years here.
    What a mess that would be with 3 dogs.
    What a wonderful word picture story to depict how we can take everything to God at ANY time.
    Thanks so much for the laugh and the reminder of God's grace attending His ear to us. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your story and I like visualizing an Army of Angels!! They come in all shapes sizes and job descriptions, don't they. My son is a police officer and I know he is an angel to many who need help. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Skunks are prevalent in this area. We know this all too well by the lovely scents they leave behind. *sarcasm* Haha!

    What a great analogy though to share how God can do anything... nothing is too big or small and when needed, He sends out legions of angels to the rescue, as the police came to you in your time of need, no matter how trivial the problem may be.

    Great post! Sorry, but I laughed. I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time, but I sure enjoyed the story you shared. Thank you for sharing and May God richly bless each and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gayle, how funny and a wonderful story to relate your verse. Enjoyed reading this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well put!! A modern day parable.

    Thanks for sharing. We live in the country and my dogs often take off after sounds in the night. I always hope it isn't a skunk.

    ReplyDelete