Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Morning In May

On a Sunday morning in May, I awoke feeling feeble all over. My husband of 20 years had recently announced his intentions of filing for divorce. Getting dressed and out the door to church took every ounce of mental and physical energy I could muster. I couldn’t pray. I couldn’t think. Depression lingered in the shadows.

A visiting minister delivered the morning message. It was a good sermon, but, in all honesty, I had hoped for a more personal word from God. I needed something special.


As the congregation scattered, I retreated to the foyer, waiting for my daughter to join me. While leafing through some brochures, the visiting minister appeared, walking straight toward me. As I stood there, wondering what was in store, he took my hand and told me that God had sent him to our church to give me a personal word. It was a moment I'll never forget.

As goose bumps covered my body, he told me that God loved me, that I was special in God’s eyes, that God knew where I was, and that he would lead me in the coming days. I had never met this minister before, and he had no clue what I was facing. But my Heavenly Father knew. And he knew that I had come to church, seeking a personal word from him.

How comforting to know that, even when we can’t feel God or hear his voice, he is ever with us, touching us through the hands of chosen vessels. ♦
__________________

“Behold, I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive him: But he knoweth the way that I take.” Job 23: 8-10

20 comments:

  1. Our Heavenly Father will stop at nothing to show His love for us. He cares so deeply. How wonderful this minister was willing to be a vessel.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, the Spiritual Sunday posts seem to be relating to each other right in order! God does speak to us, if we are alert. Thank you so much for sharing this! I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW This gave me goosebumps too. What a wonderous "God moment" I still am always soo overwhelmed by His love for us. Thanks for sharing this. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is amazing, I love when things like that happen.
    God Bless,
    Gingr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings Gayle...How comforting! I love that God sends someone or a message right when we need it most.
    Sometimes it's a song. So blessed that you shared how this minister was a touch from God when you least expected it after the disappointment but needed it greatly! Just love God moments and people being chosen vessels!

    I pray that you receive MORE hope and goose bumps from God in times of need. Thanks for inspiring us. EnJOY a Spiritual Sunday and a God filled week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a blessing from God. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my emotions are all over with this post of yours. I got goose bumps when I read about the visiting pastor. That is so coo! Having said, that, I am so sorry about your marriage. I am so sorry. This I know, God has great things yet ahead for you. He has not discarded you, bur clearly He sees you intimately and is watching you closely. Sweet blessings upon you this coming week. Clearly you are a loved woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God never disappoints does He? He knew just what you needed.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing that story with us. What a blessing you received!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful testimony of how God cares for us and hears and answers our prayers...Ask and we shall receive...Isn't his love amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when the Lord meets us in such a tangible way ....HE loves you sooo and knew JUST HOW to share at that exact moment in your life! HE is sooo good !!

    Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this story from you own life. God surely does work in a providential way to bless us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. God is simply amazing, isn't He? Praise God! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

    God bless you today and every day!!

    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gayle,
    We serve a wonderful, faithful, and loving God, don't we? I'm so glad He sent that minister your way to give you that message. The Lord's timing is always perfect! Have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing, he is a very present help in the times of our trouble.
    Blessings,
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Gayle....He does know.. He does care...always. I'm so glad you had that 'Word.' Thank you for sharing this and giving hope...Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got teary-eyed... this might just as well been spoken to me directly, I needed it badly. Thank you, thank you for sharing.
    Please click here for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so encouraged by your testimony of God's faithfulness. I thank Him also for your gift of writing. So creative!

    ReplyDelete