Monday, August 1, 2016

Pain, Purpose and a Plan


As a person of faith, I should never be speechless when it comes to God’s ways and his timing, but the last few weeks have rendered me a little speechless, I must say. I keep thinking about a message I heard one Sunday morning, months ago, while visiting my parents.

On the way to church that morning, I prayed a simple prayer aloud in my car, “Lord, you knew I would be here today, and you know the heartache I’ve carried for so long. I need a word from you. What would you have me know?”

When the pastor announced the title of his message, I felt goosebumps everywhere, and I knew, beyond all doubt, that God had sent me to that church that morning. 

The title of his message was: “The Countenance of Faith,” and within a few sentences, God’s word for me was delivered to my front door: As much as you trust my ability to do something, you have to equally trust my timing in doing it.

Now I’ll admit, that wasn’t what I wanted to hear—heartache fosters impatience, after all—but it was exactly what I needed to know, and I clung to it for all I was worth.

In the weeks following, whenever my grief would overwhelm me, I would revisit the message, and hold tightly to what God had said: Trust my timing, Gayle. Not yours. Mine. It was the hardest thing I've ever done—trusting through my tears—but I did.

Fast forward to today, and although the fog of heartache hasn't lifted, I clearly see God's hand, rearranging the clouds, unfolding a beautiful rainbow in ways I could never have imagined or would have believed. A beautiful, unexpected, perfectly-timed rainbow just for me.

I shared that to say this: If you’re desperate to escape from your misery, your confusion, or your grief, remember that, sometimes distressing things have to happen in our lives in order for God's master plan to be accomplished. He doesn't necessarily send the crisis, but he allows it to happen, and he uses it as a means of placing us where we need to be when we need to be thereemotionally, mentally or even physically sometimes.

Remember Joseph? He could never have saved his people from starvation if he had not been in Egypt. Yes, he arrived there as a scared boy, sold into slavery by his own brothers, no less. But through it all, the Bible says that God was with Joseph. And in the end, Joseph fully understood that the pain he endured had purpose, because Almighty God had a plan. Joseph's words to his brothers, after years of separation were: "You thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good."

So, my friend, regardless of the situation you find yourself in today, don't despair. If your faith is secure in God, and your life is surrendered to his ways and his timing, all things will work together for your good. Hold tightly to his promise and believe. 

Linking up with Charlotte at:

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful....perfectly put...Amen!!! Love it. This is a keeper.
    God Bless~
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! It will bless way more then you know! God is sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Old Testament story is that of Joseph. All throughout the 13 or so years, from being abandoned and sold by his brothers, to his ascension to power, the Bible says, "And God was with Joseph."

    Beautiful post, sweet sister. I love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Third time today I heard this: "You thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good." God, indeed, is speaking to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart and prayers are with you, even through "the fog of heartbreak".
    Praising God that you saw a rainbow as the "clouds were rearranged".
    God blesses us with others who have or are walking the same path.
    I understand your rainbow.
    Prayers and hugs, continue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful words, sweet friend. I am SO sorry for your heartache, and I do trust Jesus to make all things beautiful for you...in His time. The waiting truly is the hardest part. But, oh, the lessons we can glean in the meantime! God bless you and constantly give you His peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love and prayers, Gayle. *mwah*

    *hugs*
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have brought a wise word for us all. God is a God of His Word, a God who is able, and a God of timing. He makes all things beautiful in His time. Thank you for this reminder today! May He work it all out in your life to His glory! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found your link at Spiritual Sunday's. What a great testimony to just trusting i HIM. It's so not an easy thing to do so many times....well, I have to speak for myself. ;-) HOPE you're doing so much better with each passing day. Have a wonderful SONday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your line, "I clearly see God's hand, rearranging the clouds, unfolding a beautiful rainbow in ways I could never have imagined" gives me such hope for your situation, Gayle. I want to scream, "Hurry up, God!" But, of course, your way (and His) is best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post is now book marked. Thank you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really sweet and encouraging post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete