Sunday, May 1, 2016

"U" Are the Key


My typewriter is rather old, but it works qxite well—except for one key.  Trxe, all the other keys fxnction fine, bxt as yox can see, when one key isn’t working properly, the final prodxct is greatly affected.

And so it is in God’s kingdom.

You might say, well, I am just one person. My contributions aren’t terribly important in the overall scheme of things. I don’t sing. I don’t preach. I don’t teach. I am not the head of any department. I am not as important as others to the cause of Christ.

But that isn’t true, my friend. Just because you aren’t as visible as others, doesn’t mean you aren’t as important.

After all, God’s work isn’t limited to what happens when church is in session.  The majority of God’s work is done when church is dismissed, when the lights go out, when no one but God is looking.

As demonstrated by the Good Samaritan, God’s work is fulfilled one-on-one, loving our neighbors as ourselves, doing little things that make big, big differences in the lives of those around us.

Little things like: hugging a hurting child, having lunch with a single mom or sending a card to a friend in crisis.

How much applause we get from men isn’t important—unless we’re working for an earthly reward, or course. It is how well we do our job that will matter in the end.

So the next time yox feel xnimportant in God’s great big family, jxst think aboxt my typewriter and say to yoxrself: I’m jxst as important as anyone else.  And if I don’t fxlfill my role properly, the finished prodxct will be greatly affected.

 “For we are labourers together with God.” I Corinthians 3:9

This article first appeared in Signs of the Times magazine.

Linking with: Spiritual Sundays

7 comments:

  1. Very clever and to the point.
    ~smile~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...this is such a wonderful post, Gayle. While I was reading it, a song that I used to hear on the radio from the late 80's (which became a favorite) and shortly after I became a Christian, came flooding into my head. I immediately went to YouTube to look for it and there it was. Here's the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtVoreVCcw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this link. I don't recall ever hearing this tune, but it is beautiful and moving.

      Delete
  3. As usual, you have written just what I needed this morning. You are a gifted writer with an open heart to write what God knows and gives you. I love you, Sister/Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a good thought! We can surely feel so insignificant and unnecessary, but surely God does have a place for each one of us to labor in His Kingdom. Thank you for always encouraging me.

    ReplyDelete