Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Blueprint for Letting Go and Letting God

Do you struggle with letting go of things (or people) you care deeply about, but have no control over? Have you tried to let go, but your anxious thoughts keep returning? If so, I used to be in your shoes, and this blog is for you.

It was about a year ago. Despite being a person of great faith, I found myself on a destructive path of tears, fears and chronic worrying. I knew I couldn't stay sane if I didn't stop my anxious thinking, but I didn't know how to exit the deadly roller coaster of giving my worries to God and picking them up again. Dear Lord, I whispered, as I prepared for bed that evening, I really need a blueprint for letting go of my worries. I can't continue down this ruinous path. Help me, please.

As odd as it might seem, I have a practice of reading my daily devotional at bedtime instead of morning, and as I opened it to the day's date, it was like God entered my bedroom and personally delivered the blueprint I so desperately needed. Each word was timely and inspirational, but the real recipe for letting go came at the end where the author shared a story about Dr. Edward Payson, a 19th Century preacher who was known as "Praying Payson."


Dr. Payson, while still a young man, once wrote to an elderly mother who was extremely worried and burdened over the condition of her son, He wrote,

   You are worrying too much about him. Once you have prayed for him, as you have done, and committed him to God, you should not continue to be anxious. God's command, "Do not be anxious about anything" (Phil. 4:6), is unlimited, and so is the verse, "Cast all your anxiety on him" (1 Peter 5:7). If we truly have cast our burdens upon another, can they continue to pressure us? If we carry them with us from the throne of grace, it is obvious we have not left them there. In my own life I test my prayers in this way: after committing something to God, if I can come away, like Hannah did, with no more sadness, pain, or anxiety in my heart, I see it as proof that I have prayed the prayer of faith. But if I pray and then still carry my burden, I conclude my faith was not exercised.

Needless to say, tears fell that night, and I laid my worries down and exited the roller coaster with peace in my heart. Have I been aboard the roller coaster since then? Of course. I'm human. But I don't ride it very long. I have a blueprint for stopping the madness, and every time I follow it, the madness stops.


Linking to:

10 comments:

  1. I almost didn't read your post after seeing the title, but you're such a good writer I decided to take the plunge and am so glad I did. This one is for every parent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone should read and understand your words.
    Roller coasters is a great way of describing the emotions and feelings of worry. It's funny because when we pray about our worries, we want peace. If we don't let God we don't know peace. We can't do it by ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anxiety is something I constantly struggle with and have been in prayer about. Thank you for putting into words what I have been feeling.

    Celi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this reminder of Streams in the Desert...so good! Many blessings to you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming from the mother of an alcoholic son, believe me when I say I have visited that place more than I care to admit. Yes, I am doing better than I used to but I still find myself sometimes worrying about his future....but mostly I pray now more than worry. The Lord has helped me tremendously throughout the years. The words to the song "God will make a way when there seems to be no way..." have become my prayer for him...and even though I love him with my whole life, it is not my responsibility to fix him. Thanks for this post, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muchly needed, dear sister. I struggle with this on a regular basis, yet I do know the joy that comes from releasing things into God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muchly needed, dear sister. I struggle with this on a regular basis, yet I do know the joy that comes from releasing things into God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and I'm sure it will speak to most everyone. I was so glad to see that you had visited my blog and yes, I've lost contact with so many of the "bloggers from yesterday." We go back a long way. --You always wanted to paint--smile--and I always wanted to be published--smile again--You are so very talented and I admire all the things you do so well. Maybe someday you will paint and I will be published--LOL! God has lots of twists and turns up His sleeve and we just never know but in the meantime, I'm glad that you are blooming where you are planted and I'm trying to do the same--Hope that beautiful granddaughter is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gayle, thank you for sharing this wonderful and profound post.
    Take care!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gayle, thank you for sharing this wonderful and profound post.
    Take care!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete