Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I'm Expecting...A Grandchild

A few of my close friends already know, but to those of you who don't, if all goes as scheduled, I'm going to be a grandmother in June. Yay! It didn't happen exactly as I had planned, complete with a son-in-law and all. But life doesn't always go as we plan, and children don't always travel down roads of our choosing.

Last spring, Leslie told me that she was giving up the dating scene and taking steps toward being a single mother via AI (artificial insemination) and donor sperm. In essence, she was tired of dating frogs, and although marriage might not be in her future as she had hoped, she did want to be a mother.

To say that it was difficult for me to process that information doesn't begin to tell the story. I couldn't imagine my child raising a child alone, nor my grandchild being raised without ever meeting her fatherand I still can't—but it was her choice to make, and she had made it.

The journey to motherhood hasn't been easy for Leslie. Unexpected obstacles presented themselves along the way, and she has had one emergency surgery. But all seems well now, and I am truly grateful. We heard the heartbeat in October, and it was a moment I'll never forget. We hope to find out the gender in a few days, and I'm truly excited about that. :-)

I hope you will say a prayer for a healthy mother and a healthy grandchild, and please pray that Grandma-to-be will leave her worries with God and live her life one day at a time. ♦

17 comments:

  1. Dear Gayle,
    I rejoice with you. How wonderful! and prayers for your daughter, grandchild and yes that you will be able to embrace this to the fullest and enjoy that baby to the hilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dianne. I am doing my best to lay my anxieties aside and enjoy what is. That's hard for some mothers to do. :-)

      Delete
  2. Plottlj@sbcglobal.netTuesday, January 01, 2013

    I have a niece that made the same decision about 3 years ago and had a beautiful son in August 2010. She loved the baby so much she decided to go back to the same Sperm Bank in California and get the same donors sperm and had another son in August, 2012. Both boys are healthy and beautiful and a blessing to not only their mother but their grandparents as well. She is blessed enough to have parents who are helping her raise these two beautiful boys. I hope your experience is as joyful as theirs have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those well wishes and for sharing this story with me.

      Delete
  3. A precious little one on the way to your family and to your hearts! Blessings to all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! How exciting! My daughter is expecting in June too. We are suppose to find out the gender tomorrow if baby cooperates. How fun huh? Praying for blessings and health for the new little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Debbie! That's cool! I am so ready to find out the gender so I can really start shopping. :-) Thanks for your prayers. I appreciate them so much.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful ... congratulations, Gayle! This baby is already so blessed to be a part of your warm and loving family ... and I'm guessing "Sugar Plum" will be thrilled by her new cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're thinking her and sugar plum will be best of friends. :-)

      Delete
    2. Actually, I don't know if it's a "her," but that just kinda flowed out. :-0

      Delete
  6. A baby is always wonderful news. Will keep you all in my prayers. I'm excited for you. My daughter has been divorced for almost 8 years and I agree she has found nothing but frogs herself and kissing them didn't turn them into Prince Charming.....giggle. Her daughter is now 14 and just as lovely as her Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to your daughter and granddaughter. Life doesn't always rain down princes, but life goes on. :-)

      Delete
  7. No matter what road he (or she?) arrives on, I can't imagine anything more wonderful than welcoming a grandchild into my life. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    You are far too young and hip looking to be a grandma, though. We'll have to make up a whole new name for you to fit you. I nominate "Gripma".

    I know how much you love little ones because I can see it in your love for Sugar Plum. I can't wait to help welcome your newest little sweet thing.

    (And who knows? Maybe the next frog she sees will actually be the the prince!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still praying the prince comes along. That's what mommas do.

      Delete
  8. Well, dear, your daughter chose and so we'll welcome a precious bundle this year. Praying for her strength and health, and for the joy of motherhood.

    *hugs*
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. I am excited about the "precious bundle."

      Delete