Friday, October 12, 2012

OF DEMONS AND WAR

A favorite quote of mine goes something like this: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

How true that is, and, regrettably, there are some battles that must be fought alone. Family can't help. Friends can't help. When the lights go out at night, it's just you on the battlefield with your demons.

I'm not speaking of literal demons, of course. I'm speaking of negative mindsets, brought on by negative inner voices. Things that can cripple you if you don't fight them off in the true sense of war.

In my case, the demons have been around as long as I can remember. I might conquer them for a while, but they always return. It's about how human I am and the weight of the experiences that have shaped me.

Perhaps you believe that all battles are meant to be won and all demons are meant to be conquered. I believe, however, that some battles will be fought until we stop breathing. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I believe it is a sure thing. The best we can do is to keep fighting when we'd rather lay down the sword. His grace is sufficient, after all, and his strength is made perfect when we are weak.

♦  ♦  ♦  ♦

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

I'm linking to Spritual Sundays.

2 comments:

  1. While the thought that we will fight some battles until we stop breathing can be disheartening, it's also encouraging to know we're not "doing it wrong" and need to continue the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts. I had never thought about it in exactly this way. I think you're right.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete