Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Doing The Fair With My Fair Daughter

Friday evening, as the sun sank westward, my daughter and I headed north on I-45. Destination: The State Fair of Texas. Going to the fair was a favorite fall thing to do when we lived in the Dallas area as a family. I hadn't been back since my divorce, and after 10 years away, I was anxious to see the sights and smell the foods again, including fried Twinkies and fried pecan pie.

One of my favorite "sights" has always been Big Tex. Wearing a 75-gallon hat and 50-pound belt buckle, Big Tex was easy to spot and served as a popular meeting place for people coming to the fair.

I was excited about getting a picture of him again, soaring high in the sky. But, alas, Big Tex had gone up in flames just that morning, after an electrical malfuntion. I was saddened, like so many other fair goers. He was celebrating his 60th birthday. Officials say he'll return better than ever next year.


Still, even without the giant cowboy, it was a great day.

Sometimes it isn't what you do but who you do it with that makes it so special, and, for me, this was that kind of weekend.

Despite me nearly "killing her" with my driving, and despite her iPhone diving into my open cup of coffee, and despite an unexpected wardrobe change in the parking garage of the Sheraton Dallas Hotel, being with my daughter made everything good. Here are a few pictures from our day.

♦♦♦♦
"A daughter is the happy memories of the past,
the joyful moments of the present,
and the hope and promise of the future."
- Author Unknown

6 comments:

  1. OMG is that fried okra?!?
    ... Just one of the many things I miss about Texas.

    Your day sounds like such a winner, chock-full of memories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! That was the most delicious stuff we ate all day. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great time! Sorry to hear about Big Tex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the days of going to the Texas State Fair, meeting up with y'all. I'm glad you got to go together. Precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not agree more! I've never been to the Texas State Fair, of course, but I agree about the fun part being the time spent with your daughter.

    (She looks like you. Or maybe Dayle. I can't tell.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really something about Big Tex. I haven't been to the Fair in a few years, but I may have to go to next years' to see the new one! My son was there a few days before the fire and just happened to pose in front of Big Tex! Looks like y'all had a good time!

    ReplyDelete