Sunday, May 22, 2011

Morning's Reward

It's 8:30, Friday morning. I’m following my sister down the massive aisles of The Home Depot.

Although the day is young, spring is in the air and Dayle is on a mission. Each year, her green thumb produces award-winning lawns fit for the pages of Better Homes and Gardens. I sense this year will be no exception as we enter the sun-filled nursery.

Trying to sound educated in horticultural matters, I chat about familiar plants nearby, but Dayle isn't listening. Solemn-faced, she studies an array of lush begonias--red, pink and white ones.

Almost reverently, she touches the velvety green leaves, noting each minute detail. Then, carefully, she places three flats of the sanctioned plants onto the waiting wagon.

Caladiums are next, sporting bounteous foliage with broad green margins and deeply veined ruby hearts. Dayle meticulously scrutinizes each plant before choosing.

The wagon is getting difficult, and we leave it behind in search of geraniums.

Gorgeous, grand blossoms nod in the sunlight as we approach, their brilliance breath-taking. A lone red one is promptly selected.

At the check-out register, Dayle inquires about mulch and potted ferns, decides on both, and pays the smiling clerk. I guard the wagon while she fetches the truck.

Within minutes, she returns, gingerly places her prized plants in the back, securing them for the ride home. The mulch is hoisted on board, and we head for the house and unload.

I render myself useless in a lawn chair while Dayle ponders her planting strategy.
 
Noon arrives and the horticulturist pauses for lunch.

As evening approaches, the young plants are affectionately watered. Dayle wipes her brow, puts her tools away, and joins me on the deck where we admire the fruits of her labor.

"It's a lot of hard work," she says, "but in the morning, it's always worth it."

And so it is with life. Planting. Weeding. Watering. Giving of ourselves for the Kingdom’s sake. Knowing that, when evening shadows fall and our time on earth is over, our labors will render us a glorious reward…in the morning....when we rise.

Thought for the Day: Today's discomfort cannot compare with tomorrow's reward.
___________

Linking to Spiritual Sundays, a great place to spend Sunday afternoon.

6 comments:

  1. I had to smile when I read this, "I render myself useless in a lawn chair while Dayle ponders her planting strategy." That would be me!

    This is a beautiful post, and wonderful reminder that we should utilize the gifts God has given us while on this earth to further His kingdom. As you said, in the morning, it will be all worth it.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post. Wish I'd been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh...matching gloves and shoes!
    Must be one of those Southern things.
    I truly admire that!
    I use my bare hands and I'm lucky to have matching "outdoor" shoes on.
    Heading to Home Depot, not for flowers but really cute gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to think of myself as a garden, I just picture myself walking down those isles, wiping off my face and then enjoying the fruits of my labor. Thank-you for such a beautiful in depth post of my favorite kind of day.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this!

    I am such a namby pamby lazy brown thumber. I admire those like Dayle who not only are able to produce a beatiful lawn but love to do it.

    The way you brought it all around is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post. We spend quite a lot of time in the gardening department of Home Depot. She is right. It is a lot of work but in the morning it is worth it. You and Dayle are both such a blessing in my blogging life.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete