Saturday, November 13, 2010

Gratitude Has Rich Rewards


One of my daughter’s first sentences as a toddler was, “Thank you.” Her exact pronunciation, as I recall, was “tattoo,” and she said “tattoo” on a regular basis—her mom and dad made sure.

Regrettably, thankfulness is a vanishing art these days. All across the fruited plain, griping has become the national pastime.

Certainly, we all have things we could gripe about—nobody’s life is perfect, after all. But there are enriching rewards in the simple act of gratitude.

Author Melody Beattie describes it beautifully: “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.”

Of course, ingratitude has “rewards,” too—but they aren’t so enriching.

Young or old, prosperous or poor, ungrateful people lead miserable, defeated lives. The more they’re given, the more thankless and greedy they become.

In his devotional, “The Attitude of Ingratitude,” Woodrow Kroll tells the story of a tourist, visiting a certain part of Mexico where hot springs and cold springs run side by side.

Houston Woman Magazine
While watching the peasants boiling their laundry in the hot springs and rinsing them in the cold, the tourist commented to his Mexican guide, "I imagine they think Mother Nature is pretty generous to supply such ample, clean, hot and cold water side by side for their free use."

With a sigh the guide replied, "No, Señor, there is much grumbling because she supplies no soap."

At best, ingratitude can become a habit, difficult to break. At worst, it can become a way of life, where nothing is ever enough.

I, for one, have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving season, and I refuse to focus on anything negative in my life. I have health, food, clothes, shelter, family, friends and peace of mind. Indeed, it is all I need and much, much more than I deserve.

So, from grateful me, to generous you, Lord, Tattoo.
____________

Linking to Spiritual Sundays, my favorite weekend blog.

21 comments:

  1. This post reminds me of a saying~~I'm to blessed to be stressed! Tattoo for such a great post and well needed one.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree! Some folks just love to complain about anything and everything just because. I steer clear of those kinds. Although I sometimes grumble when have to wake up early or things are a mess, I instantly remind myself that I am blessed and thank God for the day that is ahead of me. I hope you are having a great weekend. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids are so cute. Love that saying!
    A great post in this season of Thanksgiving.
    Have a happy Spiritual Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a much needed post! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tattoo for this post, Gayle!! I think if we aren't careful, we can all have a little bit of that Mexican peasant in us.

    You are so right about focusing on the positive.

    So, I will STOP complaining about the pain in my shoulder because I slept funny last night. Instead, I'll praise God that I had a bed on which to sleep and that I obviously slept so soundly that I could even sleep in a funky position.

    There. That felt MUCH better than the grumbling I had been doing today. Tattoo...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Spiritual Sundays ~ I pray everyday that our children learn to have a heart of thankfulness in today's selfish & unthankful world.

    grettajohns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ten million and one blessings ... that's for starters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too many are too busy to see the blessings. It's odd they aren't too busy to notice what is lacking or flawed. Lord help us. God bless you for the great post. Dr. Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way you write, compassionate and inspritial.
    I will be telling the story of the two rivers, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gayle, gratitude = contentment. If only we could learn gratitude at an early age, contentment would be had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for posting this. Love it.

    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can say that again, "Griping has become a National Pastime".

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is so great Gayle. I always think of the story about Jesus healing ten lepers. Only one came back to say thank you. I always want to say thank you cause He's given me so much. And even when the tough stuff happens....He's there...Hope your Sunday is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh tattoo... this is so sweet. thank you so much Gayle for this reminder to be grateful!

    Have a wonderful week ahead.
    Blessings,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tattoo for the wonderful post! Being grateful and thankful is such a blessing - you are so right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you are soo right. I have taught my grandkids to say, "A thankful heart is a happy heart" because it is just soo true....and let's face it, the sooner in life we learn this, the better. Have a wonderful week. BLESSINGS, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you, Gayle. I have soooo much to be grateful for. Thank you (tattoo) for this beautiful post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it :) Thanks for the post. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post. Thanks so much for sharing it.
    Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this reminder of how we need to be continuously grateful for the small and the big things.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gail.. what a wonderful post..
    I wanted to swing by and wish you a happy Thanksgiving.. HOpe you have a blessed day with your loved ones..

    ReplyDelete