Thursday, September 30, 2010

Happy Birthday, Elaine

My big sister's birthday is today. All who know her love her, but to those who don't know her, she's mega-gifted musically.

At the age of two, she was singing harmony with her Sunday school friend, Yolanda. A few years later, a little accordion introduced her to keyboards, and by the time she was 13, she was an accomplished pianist—not by notes, but by ear. If she heard a song, she could play it.

Elaine has always used her gifts for the Kingdom. Whether playing before small, intimate gatherings, or before thousands in packed auditoriums, her desire is to lift Him up. She gives because she’s been given. She doesn't seek earthly rewards.

Sadly, she’s experienced deep hurt in her life. False accusations. Vicious attacks against her character. Wounded in the house of friends, you might say.

But through it all, the music never died. Many times, in the midnight hours, when her impending loss was almost more than she could bear, I heard her at the piano, weeping while she sang of God’s abiding love and faithfulness. I never heard her speak an unkind word about those who lied and did her wrong, but I did hear her pray for them.

I can't be with Elaine on her birthday, but I hope it's everything she wants it to be. She's an amazing woman, a wonderful role model and the best big sister God ever made.

                               ~~~~~~~~

“For there is no friend like a sister, in calm or stormy weather, to cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands.”

6 comments:

  1. Nothing like a sister's friendship. I am sorry you can not be with her. I pray the day will be special for her.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my heart hurts for her because I've been wounded in that house of friends too. Probably not so badly, based on your post, but I have a huge heart of sympathy when I hear that others are walking that road.

    I love the image that I got when you wrote of her playing the piano by ear. There is something unbelievably graceful about the way a natural musician plays. It's like they play with their whole body and soul and not just fingers.

    Happy Birthday to your sister, from one who knows what it's like to have them and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to what sounds like a lovely woman. You are blessed to have such a strong relationship with your sister. Happy birthday Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's the best Big Sis, for sure! And I love that quote from Christina Rossetti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to have closeness with your sisters as you are blessed with. My heart aches for her and what she has endured but she has handled it as a true Christian should. What a legacy of faithfulness and loyalty she leaves. She is an inspiration and both of you are beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you linked to this again. I love my big sister to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete