Saturday, July 10, 2010

Only Diligent Drivers Need Apply


When I lived in North Texas, one of my neighbors had car problems on a regular basis. Rarely did I look across the street and find his hood down.

His car reminded me of many Christians I have met: Unreliable. One week, they’re doing 100 mph. The next week, they’re parked at home, hood up and dead.

To hear them tell it, they want to serve God, but life is hard. Their kids are sick. Their spouses are mean. Their dogs are mangy. Instead of allowing everyday dilemmas to strengthen their resolve, they pull off the road and put it in park. It was good while it lasted, but their spiritual engines are now caput.

Proverbs 13:4 says, "The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat."

Without question, if we're going to win the race that is set before us, we must be diligent in our quest. Flat tires. Pot holes. Fender-benders. Those everyday dilemmas should only slow us down, not shut us down.

True, some of us might cross the finish line with hub caps missing and horns that no longer honk. But none of us will cross the finish line on the back of a wrecker.
________

Linking to Spiritual Sundays, where oil changes are FREE!

12 comments:

  1. Great analogy. Here's to winning the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I like the analogy you made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good analogy--we need to keep running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this!
    You have a great gift for words.
    I signed on to Follow - so I'll be back.
    Nice to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this. Reading it I imaged the movies Cars...and all of us one of the cars...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great analogy. I'm seeing a common thread in these posts today. The message seems to be keep going, come what may, God is preparing the road ahead, just keep walking and don't give up. Thank you for the inspirational post. God bless, Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Where oil changes are free~~I love that!
    Have a blessed week,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome analogy! I know many who are this way and it breaks my heart! I love visiting you! I learn EVERY.TIME!

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to stand and say, "AMEN!" I love this, and it's the desire of my heart to see Christians being all that we're called to be.

    This jalopy thanks you!

    ReplyDelete