Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Required Things


I must have been temporarily insane the day I strolled into Wal-Mart and bought an aquarium. The two-gallon tank on display was so pretty, so soothing and so CLEAN! Before I knew it, I had a tank, two goldfish, blue gravel and a lovely plant. I could hardly wait to set it up.

For a while, the little aquarium was all I had envisioned. The fish swam beautifully, the bubbles bubbled soothingly and the water was clearer than clear.

But alas, one morning, my lovely aquarium seemed a bit drab. The gravel was dull, the water looked murky and the once soothing bubbles sputtered and splashed. However, I had more exciting things to do than clean an aquarium; it would have to wait.

And so it was.

Within days, green slime appeared. The odor was rank and the goldfish could barely be seen. Clearly, negligence had taken its toll.

Webster’s defines negligence as: “The habitual failure to do the ‘required’ thing.” I knew what was required to keep my aquarium clean, I just didn’t want to do it.

Without question, life is full of "required” things. Dirty clothes require washing. Dirty floors require vacuuming. Children require discipline, and good marriages require work.

The same is true spiritually. In order for us to obtain eternal life, certain things are required of us: receiving the Spirit of Christ, dying to our flesh; reading the Wordloving our neighbors as ourselves. Oh, our carnal man isn't excited about doing those things. But, if we want a happy ending when this life is done, doing them isn't an option. ♦
________________________

“For unto whom much is given, much shall be required.” Luke 12:48



holy experience

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! We're not saved by works, but we must be obedient to God's word. Faith without works is dead. No way around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!!! And what a wonderful visual of the slimey green water when it is neglected.

    Interesting: I studied recently that the Hebrew root for all those Proverbs about the "sluggard" is the word "neglect". Fits right with this post!

    As important as it is to attend to earthly matters, how much more important it is to purpose in our hearts not to be SPIRITUAL sluggards either.

    I sure don't want any slime in my living water! ~wink.

    I loved this.

    ReplyDelete