Saturday, January 16, 2010

Won't It Be Wonderful There

It was a four-hour trip from where I lived to my sister’s front door, but on this cold, rainy night, it seemed forever. My head was splitting, my muscles were aching and my less-than-ideal windshield wipers were driving me insane.

It didn’t help matters that, every five minutes, my young daughter asked, “Are we almost there?” “Are we almost there?” “Are we almost there?”

Indeed, the thought of being “there” urged me onward.

I’d been “there” before, you see, and I knew what awaited me: a roaring fire to warm my bones; an array of candles to soothe my senses; delectable smells coming from the kitchen—not to mention, my sister’s warm embrace.

No doubt about it, the house nestled among the pines was tailor-made for rainy nights and weary travelers.

But inviting though it is, my sister’s house can’t begin to compare with my Father’s house. Quite frankly, it doesn’t even come close.

No, I’ve never been to my Father’s house—I’ve never even seen it—but I know what awaits me: walls of jasper; gates of pearl; streets of gold; loved ones who’ve gone on before me.

It's a place of perfect peace, where death is a stranger. No hate. No crime. No war. No bills to pay. No clocks to punch. No telemarketers calling. Nothing but happiness while eternal ages roll.

Songwriter, James Rowe, put it this way: “Won’t it be wonderful there? Having no burdens to bear? Joyously singing, with heart bells all ringing. Oh, won’t it be wonderful there?”

Indeed, it will be, Mr. Rowe. And while I don’t wish to annoy anyone, I must ask: Are we almost there?

Is that the lights of home I see? Is the marriage supper of the Lamb about to begin? I smell something delectable coming from heaven’s portals, and I’m longing for my Father’s warm embrace.

“I go to prepare a place for you.” John 14:2

Dear God, when the road seems long and the rain unending, help me remember the joys that await. Amen.
________________________

I've blogged among friends for years, but thanks to some nudging from my twin sis, I'm easing out into the deeper waters of blogging. This is my first time to link up with Charlotte and Ginger at Spiritual Sundays. I hope you'll join me there for spiritual insight and inspiration.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this precious post, be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe He is coming soon and we are almost there!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you decided to link in today. I believe that Jesus is coming soon, and I loved your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a beautiful post. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this delightful post with us. I felt like I was there in the car with you as you were headed for your sister's house. Yes, there will be a glorious homecoming at our father's house.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. What powerful writing you have? Your sister is right, you need to venture out. I wish I lived close to you, I would love to get to know you.

    Thank you for visiting my blog. I do get used to the view and then the Lord sends me a beautiful sunrise or sunset to wake me up and remind me to give thanks for everything I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, I would love to be a follower if you would add it to your sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O Wow! You are indeed a writer! Your post drew me in and kept my attention right to the end. Keep on writing and sharing. We need your strong words of encouragement. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a spectacular post!I had visions all they. The vision of heaven is thought of offten.I am so happy you shared this today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gayle - this is a lovely post! And yes, you are a writer!

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that beautiful post. Just think, He has gone to prepare a mansion for us. He is our hope.

    ReplyDelete