Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Lesson From Elaine

It was a balmy day in Mississippi. My big sister was about to tackle Driver's Education, chief instructor - Daddy.

Feeling adventurous, the entire family climbed aboard the Falcon station wagon, anxious to watch Elaine drive.

The Falcon was a stick shift, and Elaine listened attentively, as Daddy explained the gears. “Here’s first, second, third.”

Next, came clutch procedures.

“As you give the car gas, ease out on the clutch,” Daddy explained, demonstrating the procedure as he talked. “Give it gas and ease out,” he repeated, emphasizing the word ease.

After a few demonstrations, Elaine felt confident enough to take the wheel.

"Remember,” Daddy cautioned, as she settled into the driver’s seat, “ease out on your clutch.”

It sounded simple enough, but, alas, it wasn’t quite so simple.

Within seconds, the station wagon was bucking like a bronco in distress. Buck, buck, buck, buck. Down the dusty road we went.

Sprawled in the back of the wagon, my twin and I laughed uproariously, without a clue. Mother and Daddy had a clue, but they were laughing too hard to say anything.

Only Elaine remained calm as the Falcon lurched madly along, her hands on the wheel, her eyes on the road. She didn’t know how to improve the situation at hand, but someone on board did. She would wait for further instructions.

Perhaps your Falcon lurches madly along the King’s Highway today, and you’ve no idea how to reign it in. What sounded simple wasn’t simple after all. Buck, buck, buck, buck. Down life’s road you go.

Well, take a lesson from Elaine: Don’t panic. The Chief Instructor knows where you are. Just keep your hands on the wheel, your eyes on the prize and wait for His instructions.


"I will instruct thee…in the way which thou shalt go."
Psalm 32:8 

Prayer: Lord, when I don’t know how to stop the turmoil, help me remain calm and wait for you.

14 comments:

  1. Haven't we all been there? Then when we look back....it was so simple....just follow the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betcha God thinks we are all a hoot at moments too. What a super post. Loved this and hope that more get to read it. Have a week filled with love, Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the story and uplifting message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post!

    So blessed to have found your site!

    Sweet Blessings!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. A humorous take on a real-life situation. Thanks for the great analogy. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such a descriptive lesson. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great metaphor! Thanks for a humorous yet so true story of life and faith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post!! I read it with a smile on my face!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've spent my life lurching forward with God! As long as it's forward, it's gain. Hi... this is "elaine" over from Ann's blog.

    Wonderful analogy.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAVE BEEN READING YOUR FOR MONTHS NOW AND REALLY ENJOY YOUR BLOG...GLAD YOU ARE HERE WHERE I CAN COMMENT..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember this day very well, sis. Such a funny memory and a wonderful lesson for living.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your message I really needed to hear that today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So often I want to be in charge and I take my eyes off the prize. It's like having a GPS set on the right course and instead of following the istructions given, I take my own route and am puzzled because I get lost!!
    Thank you for this post!
    Grace to you

    ReplyDelete