Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Focus, Focus, Focus

A few weeks ago, twin sister and I were out and about. Her granddaughter Arabella came along.

At some point, Arabella got restless, and I took out my cellphone and peeked in the backseat with my camera, hoping to distract her.

Once she spotted me, she immediately ceased fretting, and we exchanged smiles for a few priceless moments.


She reminded me of myself.

Between you and me, the past few weeks have found me struggling in my car seat, road weary, deeply grieved about things I can't change, my heart so heavy at times breathing is a real struggle. I don't like the detour life has demanded. The road is rough. The road is long. I want out of the car.

But just when I think I can't go another mile, I get a call from a special someone, or I see a vivid sunset, or I read a timely word, and I remember my Creator, and how he cares about me, and provides for me, and has promised to never leave me alone in my weakness. And for another day, I find strength to sit still and journey on.

Philippians 4:8 says: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things...and the God of peace will be with you."

In other words, you'll never have peace if you're focused on the bumpy road. You have to commit the road to the Driver, and focus on something good. ♦


"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
2 Corinthians 12:9

I'm linking to:
Grace at Home, a beautiful blog
Spiritual Sundays, a blog focused on faith

15 comments:

  1. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
    ~ Isaiah 41:10 ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. One of my favorite scriptures, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful analogy, Gayle. I am SO sorry to know that you are going through so much. May Jesus hold you extra close through this difficult season. Sending you love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. God is good...all the time.

      Delete
  3. I surely did need to read this, twin sis. Surely did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The analogy...fussing in my car seat...made me both laugh and nod in absolute recognition. Sometimes, the best thing happens...we catch a glimpse of The Master.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's what I keep hearing today Gayle, For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (1 Timothy 1:7) Easier said than done in some situations- I totally get it. Love the Phil. verse you shared and like your sis's sweet grandaughter perked up when she felt seen by you and your camera- that's kind of the same joy we feel when we get that unexpected pick me up from God. We all just want to feel like we're seen by God. Praying for you. Glad to have linked up near you at #graceathome to day ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather, for the prayers and your beautiful, encouraging words.

      Delete
  6. I love this analogy, Gayle. God is just full of great ideas to get us back on track and focus on His goodness, isn't he? It's kind of funny that your sweet little "distraction" is what brought your focus back :) Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been so encouraged in the last month, as the Lord has taken the bumps, and the raw "milk" of my heart and turned it into butter, as only He can. More plainly, He has used the very circumstances that had me concerned, to bring about something far greater. And without those circumstances, he could not have brought about the greater. Hang on, ride those bumps... fresh butter is just ahead :) Hugs to you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words. I am certainly believing for the "far greater" things ahead.

      Delete
  8. I am sorry that life is difficult at this time. It is beautiful when God brings an analogy not only for ourselves but one which encourages many. So grateful you shared what God brought to mind through the cutie in your backseat! May God bless you today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blessings and wishes for you, my friend as you step back and refocus.
    I did the same last year with Instagram.
    It just got too overwhelming.
    Will miss you bright light here. : )

    ReplyDelete