Friday, December 13, 2013

Our Family Circle of Five


It is a cold evening in December. I have escaped the big city to spend a few hours with my parents in the old home place among the tall Texas pines. While Mother makes magic in the kitchen and Daddy studies his Bible in his favorite chair, I lay on the couch and count the many blessings God has bestowed. The list is endless, for sure.

The fact that I still have my parents in my life is a blessing without measure. To be able to call them and chat anytime I choose is something money cannot buy. But more importantly than just having them in my lifeand I say this with utmost sincerityI am grateful that they still live under one roof as husband and wife.

That they still dine at the same table, ride in the same car, and worship at the same church. That I don’t have to spend this day with that one, and another day with the other one. That I can watch them cooing with my granddaughter and hugging on my kid.

That we can laugh together about old memories, and sing together old songs, and share coffee, and crosswords and pie. That we can pray together. That we can cry together. And that when I leave the big city and come to visit for a spell, they are both here waiting, like velvety pillars of steel, anxious to hug me and welcome me home.

It is what I’m most grateful for, on this cold December evening, as Mother makes magic in the kitchen and Daddy studies his Bible in his favorite chair. That our little family circle of five remains unbroken after all these years. ♦

"The greatest gift parents can give their children is to love each other for life."
Author Unknown

Sharing at Spiritual Sundays.

7 comments:

  1. It means more than words can express. We are blessed beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle, when I read about your and Dayle's family, I get all warm inside because it reminds me of my own. Mine consisted of 8 children with me being the baby. Dad died in 2002 at nearly 91 and Mom in 2010...almost 98. I consider it a true blessing that I was able to have them in my life for such a long time. Since I live about 500 miles from most of my brothers and sisters, it makes it hard especially over the holidays. How I long for those sweet Christmases of yesterday, when we could all be together. I know I don't have to tell you to cherish every moment because I can tell you and your sweet sis already do. May you make wonderful new memories this Christmas!

    Blessings,
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debby. You were very blessed to have you parents so long, and I am praying mine live to be 200. :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, what a strength for you. I found you through Spiritual Sunday, may you be blessed during this season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture in the upper left corner was made at Daddy and Mother's home in Mississippi! Oh how happy I was when y'all visited us. So many memories of you and your sweet sweet family. Ainsley looks just like her Nanna in the upper right photo. I'm thankful I still have my parents too. I only wish I lived closer so I could visit them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gayle,
    So true. My parents turned 80 this year and I am so thankful for them. I never leave their home without feeling so loved. Such a blessing. And I am so glad that they also "made" me my best friend, my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It warms my heart to read about your family and the strength of your bonds. God bless you during these days of advent!

    ReplyDelete