Saturday, November 10, 2012

Leave It There

As the first flickers of dawn sifted through the tall pines, I stood in the back doorway struggling to focus. Words from an old hymn whispered to my soul: "Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there."

As a person of faith, taking my burden to the Lord is a natural instinct. The tricky part for me is leaving it there. Today, however, I needed to leave it there.

Returning to my bedroom, I sat silently on the edge of the bed. My alarm would go off soon, and another workday would begin. I felt heavier than Gibraltar. The scripture about casting my cares upon "him" came to mind. The end of that verse says, "because he cares for you." After repeating those words several times to myself, I lined my cares up in a long row and began praying.

"Lord, here's my concern about _______. I cast it upon you today." As I called out each concern, I made the motion of removing it from my heart and placing it in his hands.
Somewhere around the third concern, tears spilled out and dripped off my face. With each falling tear, I felt a sense of release and a genuine lightening of my load. It was truly miraculous. In mere moments, with just a few simple words, and a tiny bit of faith, Gibraltar had transitioned from my heart into his hands. Today, I would leave it there. ♦
I'm linking to Still Saturday, a new blog I have discovered for quiet inspiration.

5 comments:

  1. I need to print this one and frame it so I see it every day. I love you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaving it there. There's the rub.
    It is so wonderful how He cares for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder that He is able to bear our burdens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of our forever challenges in this world, our present-day cultural overwhelmingness of doing, doing, and doing some more. AND the blessing is His UNdoing and UNdoing ... removing the pressure off of us as we turn our hearts to Him. Need to focus on Him, not the rest of the "world." Thanks for sharing, reminding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to this post so much, Gayle.
    Recently, I have come to a place of telling and leaving. I'm not saying that I am where I want to be, but I am so much better at it than I used to be.

    ReplyDelete