Saturday, October 1, 2011

Do Not Worry


As a divorced woman, way past my prime, the realities of life occasionally haunt my habitat. What will tomorrow look like for me? Will I have to work till I'm deaf and drooling? Will I die in my house alone?

During such times of anxious thinking, God's Word is my greatest source of strength. A particular inspiring reading for me is the Sermon on the Mount, where Jesus instructs us not to worry about the necessities of life.

"Consider the lillies of the field," he said, "how they grow." They don't work or sew, yet kings aren't clothed in such royal finery.

And what about the birds of the air? They don't sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet, not a day goes by that they aren't fed.

"Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow," Jesus said, and I hear him talking to me. "Even if your health fails and your work ends and you're deaf and drooling and others aren't there for you and can't provide for you, I can, and I will. So cease the worrying, sweet child of mine. I'm all you need. " ♦
___________

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:26 (NIV)


I'm linking up with Spiritual Sundays
Please click over and be blessed.

12 comments:

  1. Amen! The ONLY one we can truly count on is God. And He is all we truly need. (But I'm here ... and will catch your drool if needed.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the beautiful song you wrote many years ago, "He Can Take Care of Me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to be reminded of this today. You said it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that ~ "I am all you need." God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gayle,
    This is such a true and beautiful post. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all tend to worry about the future because it is unknown. Great to be reminded that while it is unknown to us it is NOT unknown to God who has the complete game plan.

    Great post!

    ~SWEET TEA

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are loved. All of us are loved, and loved extravagantly. We know it in our heads. We say it with our mouths. We even read it with our eyes on bumper stickers.

    But something happens when we receive it with our spirit. And the Word is a holy meeting place for time with Jesus, where we can commune, break bread and sit at the table with the most powerful and most loving King.

    However, we have to bring all of ourselves, even the lies, doubts and self-accusations. We have to place them on the table, lift up our eyes to Him, and listen to His Word, listen to His Truth.

    I'm learning that if I neglect this time and instead try to subsist on the promises with only my head, then I leave the table weak and malnourished. I'm learning, now, to remain at the table, fully present, until my heart soaks up His love.

    My prayer for you, right now, is for God to flood your heart with His love, for God to unwrap a deeper revelation of His love. Because a spongy, saturated heart is the greatest weapon we have on this dry and parched planet.

    May He send you forth, dripping and smiling, as a testimony to everyone who looks in your eyes and reads through your words. That's my prayer.

    You are loved. Despite your circumstances. Your are loved. Despite your thoughts. You are loved. Despite even you. You are loved.

    None of that matters.

    Because you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Spiritual Sunday; I'm a worrier by nature, though I know God doesn't want me to be a worrier but rather a warrier for him. I have to stop and remind myself often that God does know what my needs are, that his word says he will meet them and just to trust in him. It is sometimes a daily (hourly, minute battle) but it is reassuring we have his word and his promise that he is for us not against us and for us not to worry but just trust in him! May your week ahead be a good one!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always think little worry trees grow around me faster than I can cut them down. And God is so clear that we shouldn't worry. I think God has a wonderful surprise for the rest of your life. And only Heaven in the end!

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the time I wasted before I finally got that truth firmly planted in my soul. He is all I need. His grace is sufficient for me. God bless, Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful inspiring post. I needed to read this just now. I've known this forever, of course, but need to be reminded now and then and this was a good time to be reminded. Thank you, Gayle. BTW I love your header picture.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete