Saturday, August 28, 2010

Being Wrong Can Be So Right


The day I learned DeAnna would be my office partner at our new location across town, I nearly had a stroke. Surely not. Who in their right mind would put the two of us together and expect either of us to survive? In a week, DeAnna would be bored to death by me or I’d be talked to death by her. It just wasn’t workable.

On the morning of the move, I got to work early, found my office and started setting up shop.

Around 8 o’clock, the barometer on the fourth floor peaked as DeAnna blew in like a monsoon wind. Long before I saw her, I heard her coming my direction.

Taking a deep breath, I braced for the storm.

In a few minutes, “the storm” arrived, but it wasn’t nearly as rough as I’d anticipated. With a gentle good morning, DeAnna asked if I’d like anything to drink. A cup of coffee, perhaps?

I returned her greeting, thanked her for the offer, but declined the coffee.

A cold Coke from downstairs, maybe?

I thanked her, but declined the Coke.

DeAnna nodded gracefully, put her belongings down and headed back out the door.

I’m not sure when it happened, but somewhere between that first day of our togetherness and the next few weeks, I learned to adore DeAnna Wright—her energy; her humor; her incredible quick wit. By month’s end, I would’ve fought anyone who tried to part us.

DeAnna felt the same way.

Daily, we laughed hysterically at something one of us did or said. Just a glance (or a grunt) could send us both roaring. Even in the silences, DeAnna made work a good place to be.

My change in positions a few months later was bittersweet. I wanted to take DeAnna upstairs with me, but I couldn’t, of course. All I could do was hug her tightly and snap a photo for old times’ sake.

Today, the photo remains a treasured possession of mine. Every time I look at it, I’m reminded of just how wrong I can be and of just how much I might have missed.

WORDS TO LIVE BY: Never declare anything “unworkable” without, first, giving it a chance to work.

18 comments:

  1. Amazing how the two of you were put together for just the right time and purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when it just "clicks"!
    We had a similar situation with my older daughter's first roommate. It might have appeared that they were opposites, but God had answered my prayers for the PERFECT roommate, and they became like sisters and roomed together for two years.

    God knows best, Debbie. (speaking to myself this morning...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely story...thanks for sharing!

    HUGS ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gayle what a great post.. it is amazing how we can label people and make a decision on your thoughts about them, even prematurely.
    I have been guilty of that, im afraid to say more than once..
    but it is nice to know that some times we can be gladly mistaken..and pleasantly surprised..
    Great post..
    And even better happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you two didn't have enough time working, with each other. Glad about the promotion but sorry you left behind your "muse".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all the same? It's so nice to be pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an excellent post and reminds us not to "judge a book by its cover."
    I do believe God brings people in and out of our lives for a purpose. We just need to open our hearts and minds. God bless you, and happy Spiritual Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a great post...reminds me not to judge

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this story! What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely story...Each person that we encounter in our life can be considered as an experience in itself.Their lives touch ours and we remain forever linked to their.
    Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful story and a good reminder how we should not automatically judge someone (something I've been guilty of).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gayle! I noticed that you are a new follower on my blog and I just hopped over to take a look at yours and "OH MY" I am so glad I did! You are doing something really wonderful here and I am looking forward to sitting down with a cup of coffee and looking through ALL of your posts! It is a joy to my heart to meet other women who love the Lord here in Blogland and I am your newest follower now!
    Blessings,
    Vanessa
    http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vanessa, I'm delighted to have you onboard, and I can't wait to learn more about you.

    I hope your weekend is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gayle Sweetie...
    What a beautiful share today. Miracle weekend brought me to visit the Spiritual Sunday participants and today I have been blessed here.

    Do not judge a boook by its cover. Her shell had told your one thing, but once you got to know DeAnna's soul and her heart, you knew she was nothing like you thought. The two of you moved mountains together, and left a bookmark in each other's heart. I absolutely love this post. I can't thank you enough for sharing with me, reminding me to get to know people first, give everyone a chance to shine in the light, and get to know their heart.

    Lovely, lovely post. I will definitely be back. I tried to follow you, but for some reason I kept getting an error message. I have been having some problems with my computer. I will try again next visit sweet friend.

    Please stop by Country Wings In Phoenix, my blog. Guideposts magazine is donating a dollar towards our next miracle makeover for each comment left and I want to make enough for several more makeovers. I know they are out there just waiting to be found.

    Country hugs sweet friend, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. This story touched my heart! I hope your new promotion is good for you.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a heart warming story. It's a good lesson on prejudging. Thank you for sharing with us each week. I'm always inspired by you.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I just adore this post! I have talked myself out of so very many things that I just "knew" weren't going to work for me. And after a few pep talks and trying to do things that seemed "impossible" for me, I've experienced some of my greatest joys.

    I'm facing a stumbling block in my career right now, and have convinced myself that it's too scary to look elsewhere - though I can feel God's urging to do so. And really, it's just straight disobedience! It's amazing what stepping out of our comfort zone can do in our lives. I need to preach that to myself over and over again!

    ReplyDelete