Sunday, July 25, 2010

Got Dust? Get Some Rain.


The azalea bush outside my office window was dusty and limp the day the rain finally came. Watching its leaves bounce beneath the cool drizzle, I marveled at the power of water. Within minutes, the dry, drooping bush was upright, refreshed and clean. A momentary change of environment had produced monumental results.

The same is true for Christians. We often find ourselves dry and drooping as we struggle with right and wrong, good and evil. We're in the world, but not of the world, Paul said. Our spirit is willing, but our flesh is weak. Indeed, it's a daily wrestling match that leaves us tired, limp and dragging.

But just like the azalea bush after a cool, refreshing rain, a moment in the Master's presence and our drooping souls are revived again.

I enjoy reading "The Message" version of the Bible, and the 23rd Psalm is one of my favorites. I hope you'll find springs of refreshing today as you read each uplifting line.

Psalm 23

God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
you find me quiet pools to drink from.

True to your word,
you let me catch my breath
and send me in the right direction.

Even when the way goes through Death Valley,
I'm not afraid when you walk at my side.
Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure.

You serve me a six-course dinner
right in front of my enemies.
You revive my drooping head;
my cup brims with blessing.

Your beauty and love chase after me
every day of my life.
I'm back home in the house of God
for the rest of my life.
_____________

Please join me at Spiritual Sundays for some cool, refreshing rain.

9 comments:

  1. I love that sentence...His beauty and love chase after us....Some days I am so overwhelmed with His love. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and inspiring! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read this Psalm in the Message before! I love it! I also posted about Psalm 23 for Spiritual Sundays this week so this post is extra special to me. Especially verse 6!
    Have a great week!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Tears in my eyes. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Refreshing and uplifting. I love the 23rd Psalm, the Message and Azaleas are my favorite. Thanks for posting this today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE the "revive my dropping head" part, and it fits perfectly with your message this morning.

    If you only knew how badly I needed to read this. My head has been drooping this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful illustration. I love the way water, especially rain water, refreshes plants. It seems like no matter how much we water plants with the hose, they perform so much better, and bloom more when they get rain water.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gayle,

    I have just within the past week come upon your blog. A few weeks before that, I started following your sister's. You are both such talented writers and photographers... something I also enjoy but only as a hobby. As I am sitting here clicking on your different posts from years back, my heart has been blessed by your sweet, simple, to-the-point writing style and the messages they convey. I am going to enjoy following you as well. Your posts (along with Dayle's) make such meaningful additions to my devotional time. Now, it's going to take me quite some time to catch up...you have been blogging a long time! I am looking forward to it!

    God bless,
    Debby

    ReplyDelete