Saturday, June 26, 2010

Shhh. The Shepherd Is Speaking

I'm reposting Thursday's blog and linking to Spiritual Sundays.
______

My father has lost a lot of his hearing over the last few years. He's no longer comfortable in noisy environments, and he misses much of dinner-table conversation.

However, if Mother so much as whispers from two rooms away, he's got every word down. Mother whispers; Daddy hears. It's a marvel of sorts.

Some might say that Mother's words are more important to Daddy, and maybe they are. But it could be that, after 60-plus years of marriage, decibels are irrelevant when it comes to Mother talking: Daddy's ears are programmed to hear whatever she has to say.

John 10:27 says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

Quite frankly, I think I need to go to sheep school and study Shepherd Speech 101. I've been so certain, so positively certain, that I heard the voice of God before. Not literally, of course, but in my spirit. I felt something was so right. So perfect for me. Exactly what I needed at the time.

But, alas, it wasn't. In fact, it was totally wrong for me, a complete disaster, a train wreck of vast proportions.

How had I been so fooled? So stupid? So sucked in?

I really don't know, and I guess some things we'll never figure out. But one thing is certain: If I'm going to know the Good Shepherd's voice, and be totally tuned in (as Daddy is to Mother), I've got to spend time with Him on a regular basis, being still and listening. ♦

13 comments:

  1. Now you went and made me cry. Love this. Need this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow......how you and Dayle pen such great articles is simply amazing to me. Love reading yall's stories of life....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Not only because I, too, have fallen victim to the counterfeit voice, (and recently...) but because I have absolutely no hearing in my left ear. Because of that, I very much understand the image of hearing a soft sound amidst the din.

    What a sweet, sweet thing that your dad can hear your mom's whisper. It has to be a "God thing".

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my longing to hear only His voice! Staying in the Word helps me know the conterfeit better, but he's tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good post. We all need to be more in tune with the Voice that matters the most. He has the best and wisest words for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I believe we all miss it at certain times . . . maybe it's to keep us humble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. when I hear His voice in my spirit...it doesn't matter what the obstacles in the way are....I know I can do what I need. His whisper...His voice makes all the difference. great post...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was just soo good. How sweet that your dad is soo tuned into your mom he hears her whisper. I love that...As for the rest of your thoughts I think we can all idenitfy, I know I certainly can anyway. How many times have I heard the wrong direction. How much better I want to know Him. It fills my heart so much anymore. I have found the more and more time I spend in His word, the better I hear His voice. Sounds pat I know but it truly proves to be soo true. Have a wonderful week, and may we all hear His voice and His direction better. HUGS, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good post and so very true. I need to make time each day to quiet my mind so I can listen to my awesome God….It’s remarkable what He is able to do.
    Sweet Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is so good. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always loved that scripture about his sheep hearing his voice. It is comforting for me. I love the story about your mom and dad.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet~~sweet story. I need to be tuned into God everyday!
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete