Saturday, January 30, 2010

Weekend Musings


Over the last few months, I've thought a lot about my life and what it will mean when the lights dim and the final curtain falls. Death happens to someone every day, and even though I’m not sick now, I could be dead before morning. Will I have impacted anyone at all?

In reality, each sunrise is a gift from God, unique and irreplaceable. Its hours may be used or misused, invested or thrown away. The choice is mine to make, and I make that choice every day.

In a discussion with my dad last night, I mentioned that life is filled with so many distractions. Instead of seeking quiet moments of solitude, where God can speak to my hushed heart, I gravitate toward noise and busyness. Radios. Televisions. Cooking. Shopping. Facebook. You name it. Going and doing. Seeing and saying. Making time for everything except silence.

As 2010 unfolds, I want to use my hours more wisely, not allowing this life—and all its alluring trinkets—to become my focus, my passion, what drives me every day. I want to close the door on outside forces, make time for looking upward and focus on things that will truly matter when the final curtain falls. ♦

The gorgeous sunrise picture was taken by my twin Dayle.

16 comments:

  1. As usual, you have a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts. I needed that. Reminded me of the words of Socrates: "Beware the barrenness of a busy life." So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, sister! "Be still and know that I am God," comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. What a lesson I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thoughtful post. That final curtain cannot be too far off for any of us. Life is short. I realize this more and more every day.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had a lot of very similiar thoughts these last couple of days (see my post if you get the chance). I know just what you are talking about. None of us know the day or time our souls are going to be required of us. We MUST do all we can do now to serve Him. I want my life to count. Thanks for sharing this. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a thoughtful post. I tend to be "busy" too. You are so right about redeeming the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to focus more on whats important as well.I will keep you in my prayers.Thank-you for sharing your thoughts with us.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post. It is in the Being still and Being quiet, that I think we finally begin to listen. Then...we begin to KNOW our God in a much more intimate way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great post, thank you ~ Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. good thoughts. I love running in the woods but can't b/c it's too cold. I ache to be alone with Him...no distractions. That's where I hear His gentle whisper the best. Blessings. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful picture. A very thoughtful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gayle,
    Your picture is stunning as is the photo in your header. God is a wonderful artist! Thank you for sharing your wonderful post; gives us lots to ponder.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this post is all about me. I was sitting at home yesterday with the TV blaring reading blogs on my computer. I finally realized it and turned the TV off for awhile. I wonder why we find noise so gratifying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gayle:

    Very thought provoking post. I'm reminded of the scripture found in James 4:14 "What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.

    I'm often distracted with the "busyness" of life. Thanks for giving me something to reflect upon.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete