Monday, February 29, 2016

Boringly Beautiful


Whenever people ask what the company I work for does, they always get a little glassy-eyed as I explain that we manufacture geosynthetic liner systems, used in multiple applications (including waste, water, mining, coal ash, energy, civil, industrial, agriculture and aquaculture) to solve various problems associated with earth retention and water containment, among other things. Pretty boring, right? Right.


However, the projects we're involved in can be pretty fascinating. My favorite—hands down— is the word's largest outdoor swimming pool, located at the San Alfonso del Mar resort in Algarrobo, on Chile's southern coast.


The pool is more than 1,000 yards long, covers 20 acres, has a 115-ft deep end and holds 66 million gallons of water. It took five years to build, cost nearly $1 billion and the annual maintenance bill will be $2 million.


How's that for not boring?


9 comments:

  1. WOW...I had no idea a pool could ever be this large. My gosh, the upkeep on it....amazing...I hope they make enuf money to just keep it up.
    here from Blue Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA, that is one fantastic gorgeous blue pool!! I want to go!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle,

    You betcha it's not boring! Totaltly gorgerous! Thanks for playing today.

    Have a Beautiful Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any perks, like travel for inspections?
    Thank you for sharing what you do.
    That pool is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. International flying scares me a little, but never say never. :-)

      Delete
  5. Totally amazing, and I'm with Christine ... how about inspections? Surely they need a volunteer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that is amazing and I had no idea what your job was. I have seen photos of this pool before online somewhere. How awesome to be involved in such cool things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous share! I am scared of really deep water but this is certainly a magnificent pool. Thank you for sharing. I am saddened by the passing of Smiling Sally our hostess all these years for Blue Monday. I knew she was ill but hearing of her passing was difficult to process. I will add blue to all my future Monday posts. I loved Sally's cheerful manner and the fact that she always visited each and every person who shared with her all these years. She deserved all the wonderful things I hear people saying about her. She was one amazing lady and will be sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete