Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Here's To Friendship


I have been blessed with more than my share of faithful friends. Friends I could call anytime of the day or night, and they would come to assist me.

Just last week, a friend I hadn't seen in over seven years, drove me to jury duty and picked me up, just because I didn't want to drive myself. I paid her for her services, but she didn't want me to. In fact, she called me "crazy" for doing it. I told her she was crazier for driving me. I didn't have a broke foot, after all. I was just a wimp.

Ann Zaring is another one of my faithful friends.

I met Ann several years ago as a recent divorcee, trying to get back on my feet after a company layoff.  Ann's place of employment was hiring, and after applying and interviewing, I was offered the job. It was five miles from my front door, so I eagerly said yes.

Although we only worked together for about two years, we reconnected at some point, and now we try to do lunch at least once week. 

If our lunch tables could talk, they'd have plenty to say.

Ann has seen me at my lowest and heard me at my loudest. She's cried with me, and laughed with me, and sat in silence with me. I never measure my words or my moods when I'm with her, and everyone needs a friend like that.

Today, we lunched at our favorite Mexican spot, and I snapped a picture on the way out. Just because.

William Shakespeare once said, "Words are easy, like the wind; faithful friends are hard to find." I had no idea Ann and I would become faithful friends when we first met, but I'm grateful we did. ♦

3 comments: