Sunday, July 14, 2013

My Kitchen Cabinets ~ From Boring to WOW!

When I bought my house in 2007, my kitchen was my least favorite room. Although it had been updated with everything new, it was boring beyond words. The counter tops and the white appliances weren't that big of a deal. It was the light oak cabinets that drove me mad. I hated them every time I flipped on the light switch.

My kitchen cabinets on move-in day. Dreadful.

As a single woman with a full-time job, however, I figured I wouldn't be in the kitchen that much. Out of sight is out of mind. Let the good times roll.

I wish I could tell you that the next few years found me embracing the cabinets and letting the good times roll, but that would be a lie. No matter how many good times rolled, the cabinets remained a source of angst.

Replacing them seemed wasteful (since they were only a few years old) so I decided a paint job would have to do, and I would be the painter. Never mind I had no experience painting cabinets, I would make it work. I even removed a few cabinet doors to bolster my decision, but alas, it did more harm than good. The more I pictured myself painting my cabinets, the more terrified I became.

Thus, I lived without the doors for the next few years, still hating the cabinets with every breath I took.

My cabinets after removing doors. Still dreadful.

If you've nodded off by now, you're going to miss the good part, so I do hope you're still with me.

Last month, I decided that six years is long enough to hate anything, so I did what needed to be done and called a contractor.

The color I chose isn't your typical color for kitchen cabinets, but it's a color I love, and I thought it would best compliment my black counter tops and white appliances, while giving the room the wow factor it so desperately needed. I wasn't disappointed!

Are you ready for the big reveal?

Drum roll, please!


 Welcome to my new kitchen!
(I bought the ceramic table at an antique shop in Galveston, and it makes a perfect island.)

 - What a difference a coat of paint made! -

For the first time ever, I can say that I truly love my quaint little kitchen. It brightens my mood every time I see it, and I'm hoping for many years of happy cooking.

I'm linking up with Cindy's Amaze Me Monday. I'm also joining Metamorphosis Monday and Blue Monday. Hope your week is beautiful. ♦

22 comments:

  1. I find it amazing how "we" put off enhancement.
    Some of "us" improve surroundings when we are ready to move out. Sad

    So glad you jumped in and made your kitchen YOURS.
    It looks so happy! I can smell the coffee, with the cake in the oven.



    ReplyDelete
  2. The change is dramatic and the results are magnificent! I've seen it in person and even your fab photos don't do it justice. It's like a whole new kitchen. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing. They brighten up the room! I love the color you chose. It's different and fun and vintage looking.
    Visiting from Amaze Me and you did. Following you now.
    Katie
    From "Let's Add Sprinkles"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! Love them--

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is a huge difference. Looks great! Have a wonderful week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! You are a lucky woman, only a little bit of paint and a table with new life. what else can you ask? Congratulations!

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE IT! Soo much brighter! I have been hating mine for 3 years now, you may have inspired me to JUST DO IT! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just do it, Debbie! Life is short.

      Delete
  8. It does look better--much better, but you would expect me to say that about blue cabinets.

    Happy Blue Monday, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A truly remarkable job and much improvement. I need to do that as well. Mine look similar to your old. However, at this point in my life, guess I will keep the old. Love the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to squeal. I really and truly LOVE it in the biggest way! I was in the same boat and had put off our redo as well. I am so glad to have a nice bright kitchen, and I know you love yours.

    Why, it's *almost* the best thing to happen to you lately.
    I said ALMOST.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new look is great, Gayle. I'm pretty much "head over heels" for any shade of turquoise and think your choice was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful and I love, love, love the color! You were brave enough to pick a color not usually used on cabinets and it totally paid off. Love your island too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So bright and cheerful! Love your island!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi There,
    I just love the makeover. I am debating about painting my kitchen cabinets but know that it is such a huge amount of work. The colour you chose is lovely and the white plates above are so pretty too. Thanks for inspiring me! Take care,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your kitchen looks fabulous! A few years ago I took the plunge and had my pine kitchen cabinets painted white, and I still love them as white. Something tells me you will, too.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your kitchen is gorgeous! I totally understand putting off a project..been there. I know what a huge project painting cabinets is. We did that several years ago, and as you know, it's a LOT of work. Love the color you chose and the addition of the table for an island. LOVE it all! Visiting from Amaze Me Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've had so much fun looking thru your blog posts. These cabinets are very inspiring, I too have thought about painting mine for years. Maybe it is time to get out the brush!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a dramatic change of kitchen. Now it is more bright to see and Your ideas are really giving wow factor to kitchen. Quartz worktops are elegant and durable to adapt into kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. That really is an amazing transformation! What a pretty color and I really like your vintage island.

    ReplyDelete