Friday, July 5, 2013

DIY - My Bunting Banner

I recently made this bunting banner from a Texas map my mother was throwing away. The map is dated 1969, and it was purchased by my parents the year we moved to Texas. With such sentimental value, I knew it would be perfect for the travel-themed room I was preparing for my soon-to-be-born granddaughter.

Bunting banners are really fun to make with endless possibilites. Here's how I made mine.

Using card stock, I created a 5 x 9 pattern.
 
Once the pattern was made, I traced along the map, making sure any significant cities were visible on my flags. For instance, since this was for my granddaughter's room, I made sure the town her great-grandparents live in was visible, along with the town her mother was born in, and the city I currently live in.
 
I wanted to protect the flags from wear-and-tear through the years, so I decided to reinforce them with card stock. I used Elmer's glue and a small artist's brush.
 
There are countless ways to bring your bunting banner together. I chose grosgrain ribbon. I selected bright orange to contrast the soft hues of the map. If you choose this method, make sure your ribbon is wide enough to fold in half.
 
Once folded, I pinned the flags to the ribbon to secure them for sewing. (Since I have no sewing machine, my sister sewed the flags into place for me. Thanks, Dayle!)
 
Finally, I wanted to add something to give the banner a more "girlie" feel, and I decided on buttons. I searched a long time before finding these adorable whimsical ones at Michael's. I thought they were perfect.
 
Once the buttons were sewn on, it was time to hang!
 
 
 
Despite my lack of craftiness, I love how it turned out, and I think I found the perfect spot.
 
I'm linking to:

13 comments:

  1. I totally adore this banner in Audrey's room. It's perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!
    And you had the perfect spot to display it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO love this!!! And I do believe this project proves that you are not lacking in craftiness at all. Very cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I pinned Audrey's travel themed room because I loved it. I was thinking as I looked at the bunting how many wonderful things you could do with maps, particularly ones of sentimental interest.

    Hope the little one is still doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea, and so different. I love it. Great idea for using the map. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun little accent for your granddaughter's room...and with wonderful sentimental value as well! Thanks so much for sharing at The Scoop!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just hopped over here from another blog. What a great idea, and how perfect for this 'travel' room. I'm always inspired by the ideas out in blogland, especially the ones that cost so little and are so creative. Good job!

    Blessings!

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just plain adorable! Love that the map is vintage! Came to visit from The Scoop!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea and what it means to your family! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely adorable! The perfect addition to this charming room!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful room! And is that Big Bird? I love it. I’d love it if you could link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 4 blogs}
    http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/07/give-me-the-goods-party-no-17/
    Have a great week!
    Jamie @ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Jamie. And yes, that's the adorable Big Bird. He's quite vintage, but still loved. :-) I will check out your party. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I'm a huge map fan and turning it into bunting is a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Give Me the Goods! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete