Sunday, May 20, 2012

Galveston Getaway

Warning: A whole lot of rambling going on. Read at your own risk. Could cause drowsiness.

Thursday afternoon, Twin Sister and I headed to Galveston for a quick getaway. The waves and I were long overdue, and the weather couldn’t have been more perfect.

After checking into our hotel, we decided on dinner at one of our favorite dives: Shrimp ‘n’ Stuff. It's a flip-flop, beach-friendly kind of place, and the food never disappoints.
We both ordered the fried shrimp and oyster dinner, and it was prepared perfectly. Oh, yum.

Our next stop was Rita’s, where we died and went to heaven over velvety mounds of luscious Orange Cream custard. (You gotta try it if you go.)


Next it was down to the beach for our date with the sunset.

Cameras are our constant companion, so as the sun sank into the west, we set the self-timers, struck a few poses and went for the wind-blown look. (Between you and me, I think we nailed it.)


Surrounded by seagulls, sand and surf. I couldn't stop snapping. This was my favorite shot of the evening.


The day ended on our balcony, where we sipped our brew, solved the world's woes and scanned the horizon. A long line of ships, twinkled in the distance, waiting their turn in port.


We didn't anticipate being awake before daylight the next morning, but, alas, we were. The details would take a while, so I'll spare you those and keep moving - for those of you still reading.

Of course, mornings go best with IHOP, so we drifted out for a hot and hearty breakfast before taking on the day. (I had no idea my slice of ham would be this "hearty," but...now I know.)

While coffee flowed freely, we gazed out the windows, toward the Eastern sky, knowing something spectacular was about to happen: Sunrise.

At the first blush of pink, we made our way to the beach, where seagulls were trolling the surf's smorgasbord, snatching up breakfast. I was honored to be there.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, and I took about a thousand pictures as the Master Painter captivated me with his latest rendition of "Morning."  I remembered the scripture: "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." And in those moments of early dawn, while experiencing "the glory of God" on Galveston Island, nothing else really mattered.
No trip is complete without shopping, of course, so after lunch and a few rays, we stopped in at Murdochs, a Galveston merchant since 1910. I could have stayed for hours, but time was urging me onward, so I bought two lighthouses and called it a day. If I ever have a beach house, I'll be coming back for lamps.

And that, my friends, brings us to:
 THE END

Linking to Scenic Sunday.

9 comments:

  1. You had me at "rambling"! What a wonderful trip. Beautiful sunrise, sea, and the shop looks like fun.
    I do love some good seafood, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, not all readers can deal with rambling. Glad to know you're one of the tough ones. :-)

      Delete
  2. You described it perfectly. We even came away with a new one-liner ... or two. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a very scenic getaway too! Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, man, it looks like you girls had an awesome time--the sunset and sunrise pictures are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your sister look like you had a fabulous time. I can't get over how much alike you look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything about this little trip has such HUGE appeal to me....The place? LOVE the beach, the activities? Eating wonderful food, shopping, and LONG conversations are all at the top of my list of fav's, and time spent with your sister? Doesn't get any better...Glad you both enjoyed it...Have a good week.

    btw...your favorite photo is perfect...love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odd...
    I just read another post with two sisters in Galveston who looked suspiciously like you. You must have some dopplegangers hanging out on the Texas shore. Be careful. They might steal your identities.

    Love the windblown pictures, btw. Yes. You nailed it.

    If my sister were not currently traveling across Europe, I would drag her to the beach.

    ReplyDelete