Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My $18 Mantel Makeover


After putting my Christmas decor away last month, I decided a mantel makeover was in order. I wanted an eclectic look of something old....something borrowed....nothing new. Thus, I dug through drawers and closets and cabinets, looking for unused, usable goodies.


Although not of great monetary value, the framed picture on the left is a priceless piece to me. It was my grandmother's, and I admired it as a youngster many times in her home. When she passed away, I was honored to bring it home with me. However, I never found the right spot for it...until now.  I've recently integrated pops of orange into my living room, and the blues I already had blended perfectly. Needless to say, I was delighted to bring this out of the closet and put it in a prominent place.

The gold birdcage in front of Grandmother's picture was a wedding gift from a special friend 30 years ago. I've hauled it from house to house through the years, making it a standard part of my decor.


I had some extra candles, so I put three on a white ceramic dish and poured colored stones and river rocks around them. I love how the stones almost glow in the candlelight.


My one and only purchase was the old window on the right. It came from my favorite neighborhood antique mall and cost a whopping $18. As the "before and after" shots below clearly show: You don't have to spend big bucks to make a BIG difference. I don't know about y'all, but I'm loving the change.

Before                                                                             After

I'm reposting my blog from yesterday, linking up with Tabletop Tuesday. My first time at this party, and I'm always late. Always. Instead of getting out more, I guess I need to stay in and blog more.

6 comments:

  1. It's simply lovely. I love the mixtures of textures, too. You should link up with Marty (A Stroll Through Life) for today's "Tabletop Tuesday." I seldom get to attend, but it's a great party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll swing by the party and link up. I'm always the last one to link. I guess that means I am busy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great changes. I love how you mixed all the different elements. It is interesting and would make for a great conversation starter. I am visiting from Tabletop Tuesday and I have to say I LOVE what you wrote in your bio. My sister and I are new co-bloggers and we are both from South Texas. I live in Austin, now, though. It is nice to run across another Texan in blogland.

    We are going to start following your blog now.

    Sincerely,
    Eldarose from http://RE-inventedstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new mantel vignette The painting is perfect and it adds so much to your display. I love an eclectic look, and this is a really good one. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete