Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mercy


I’m a bit late coming to Gypsy Mama's "Five Minute Friday," where bloggers are encouraged to write for five minutes on a one-word prompt. The linky is open all week, so maybe I won’t be the last to arrive. All writers need prompting on occasion, and today’s prompt is: Full.

GO!

Before I leave for work every morning, I pray the Lord’s Prayer, asking for my daily bread, for forgiveness as I forgive others, and for deliverance from evil. At the end of that prayer, I thank God for his mercy.

To me, God’s mercy is like a pitcher of life-giving water. No matter how much I drink today, it’s filled again tomorrow.

No matter how many times I fall. No matter how many times I call. No matter how many times I disappoint. The Mercy Pitcher is filled to the brim with every sunrise.

During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said, “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.”

No matter how many times people disappoint me, or fail me, or sin against me, I should be full of mercy on their behalf. That is easier said than done, of course.

From personal experience, when a person wrongs you for purely selfish reasons, and their actions affect you negatively in significant ways, the human side of you wants to see them suffer as you suffered.

But mercy is always in order. It was Abraham Lincoln who said, "I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice."

Indeed.

STOP!

6 comments:

  1. I love that imagery of God's mercy like a pitcher of water, never being emptied. So much like Elijah visiting the widow & her son. Beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful word picture. happy Sunday evening..

    ReplyDelete
  3. His mercy endures forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did this in five minutes? Complete with the quote from Lincoln?

    Wow.

    I loved what you wrote, and I can't think of a single thing that I would rather be full of than mercy. I love the way God inspires you to think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (OK, I'll admit it. I am mostly inspired because when I think of "full" I think of full stomach. You think of full mercy.)

    Debbie hangs her head...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, he is the well that never runs dry. We are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete