Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Spice Girl


Once a spice comes home with me, a lifetime in my cabinet is guaranteed: I don't throw spices out. Ever.

I've got pre-historic celery seed, dry mustard in a rusty can, and ground cloves that were "best by" 1992.

It's an odd devotion, I suppose, but what can I say?

Of course, spices cost an arm, and a leg, and your firstborn child, so maybe I'm just cheap where spices are concerned. I don't know.

What I do know is that back in ancient times, dead bodies were anointed with spices. Egyptians were even buried with theirs. I'm sure some find that strange, but not me. I actually like the idea.

In fact, as soon as I'm done blogging here, I'm going to edit my "funeral wishes" to include being laid to rest on a sumptuous bed of bay leaves. I hear they're good bug repellents, too. And hey, the way I see it, that's a win, win.

6 comments:

  1. Gayle,I had no idea you were one of the Spice Girls - you wild thang you! I'm kind of a salt, pepper and cinnamon kind of girl. I don't like lots of different spices, and like you, I let most others just take up cabinet space. The Egyptians can keep all their funky spices as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny... I just recently threw out spices...and I am sure some where from early marriage, which was 31 years ago...so totally bad spices....love the Egyptians story, sounds like something I would teach in history to my kids for Ant. Civil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh, Gayle ... I was sitting here chuckling, then realized I'm in the same boat.
    Now, if I can just get this vision of bay leaves out of my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm giggling.
    I'm mainly giggling because of my 101 attempts not to let spices colonize in my pantry past their supposed spiciness. Now, you have given me just cause. If they can ward off bugs in a pyramid, they can certainly still be used in a casserole. I guess, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll make sure they put them all in with you!

    ReplyDelete