Friday, January 15, 2010

Show and Tell Friday - My Wedding Ring

This is my virgin voyage aboard Cindy’s “Show and Tell Friday.” In fact, it’s my first time to dive into the vast sea of bloggers. I’ve blogged among friends for several years, but never left the shore for the deep water. Thanks to a bit of nudging from my fellow blogger (and beloved wombmate), Dayle, I decided to join in today. Cindy’s blog (My Romantic Home) is a delightful place to roam any day of the week. Hurry over and see what other bloggers are showcasing.
__________________


My husband put this ring on my finger at our wedding in the summer of 1982. My attendants were swathed in pastel. The groomsmen coordinated beautifully. Mother looked ravishing.

To the casual observer, Daddy appeared sad, walking me down the red-carpeted aisle that day, but believe me, he wasn’t. I was the last of three daughters to wed, and he couldn’t have been happier.

After delivering the marriage vows, the minister pronounced us man and wife. We sealed it with a kiss and exited to the sound of classical music.

As helium balloons soared toward a cloudless blue sky, the bride and groom dashed to the waiting limousine. The wedding was over. The marriage could begin.

I wish I could say the newlyweds lived happily ever after, following that lovely afternoon in May, but I can’t. In 2002, 20 years after saying I do, the groom decided he didn’t. Thus, my diamond ring now sits in a closet in a briefcase filled with “important things.”

When my friend Ann’s husband divorced her (after 30-plus years of marriage) she took a ride in a hotair balloon and tossed her ring as far as she could throw it. It represented her freedom to be whatever she wanted to be and to do whatever she wanted to do. She smiles everytime she tells the story, and I smile with her.

Maybe one day I’ll do as Ann did and rid myself of this ring that graced my finger for 20 years and symbolized forever. But for now, I’m keeping it in a closet in a briefcase filled with important things.

13 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry you had that happen...it is a beautiful ring. I wish I was under the hot air balloon to catch that ring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you responded to my nudge. :) You've got a lot to offer in blogland. I blogged recently about your unhappy ending, as you know, and how endings are also beginnings. You've come a very long way since 2002 and I couldn't be prouder of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog via Cindy at RH. I am going to read your blog from now on as I enjoyed this post!
    Thanks, JolieAnne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ceekay, thanks for stopping by. If I do the balloon thing, I'll give you proper notice. :-)

    I dropped by your blog, but didn't have time to stay long. I will return and read your story. So sorry to hear of your battle with cancer. I will call your name in prayer.

    Hugs,
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  5. JolieAnne, great to hear from you. I promise to be a more faithful blogger than I've been in the past. Hope you stop by again soon.

    Hugs,
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry that the marriage didn't last, but the ring is beautiful. I wouldn't throw it away. Maybe one day a relative might enjoy it.

    Wishing you a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry; it sounds like it's still painful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ginger. I'm doing quite well, actually, and it's really not painful anymore. However, the ring is still pretty, so I guess that's why I still have it. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just browsing around...keep writing! I would hang on to it, 20 years is a pretty successful run, it might mean something to your children. Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry to hear of your divorce and your friends. go to the web site Doug Weiss and you might find some unanswered questions. The quilt pieces will fill in the blank spaces. You are not crazy, it is not about you and you are one of many woman going through divorces and not figuring out where it all started and ended.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who am I to tell you something about your ring? But I guess I will be brave and say a word...don't throw it away..You can tell your children's children that even though your marriage did not last a life time, you still keep the ring as a reminder that God's covenant can't be thrown away. We trasure marriage, we believe in it.
    God is a Covenant God and he will never fail!

    Blessing from around the corner.

    ReplyDelete